The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Pronghorn flatbed on my 01 D-Max and it's got one of those
Hide-A-Balls {POS BTW} and it's all worn out and the ball moves around all directions. Anyone have an idea for a simple fix :shrug: before I cut it out and put in a new one.

Thanks

·
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
249 Posts
Can you build it up (weld and grind) where it's worn down so it won't wobble?

·
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tryed once but I can't remove the ball cause the shaft it hinges on is welded in :nunu: .

Greyhorse said:
Can you build it up (weld and grind) where it's worn down so it won't wobble?

·
1,836 Posts
Cut a wedge and a slot for the wedge to drop into, 1/2 or more of surface contact so it won't fret and a hole to pry it back out. Use an angle over 10 deg so it comes out easy and under 25 so it won't spit it out.

keydl

F

·
0 Posts
I think you won't be happy until it is new LOL I don't blame you, it's a real PITA when they have any wobble in them (been there done that). Although if youy could live with it weld the ball in place, and if you decide later that it's in the way, just get a new one, maybe you can put off buying a new one for a few months, or you'll get used to it being there, and work around it.

·
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well,I have my 3500 and it'll have a flatbed shortly but I haul pallets on thin one at times. Maybe I will just weld it. I was thinking about trading beds but I don't feel like getting 2 new beds.

fordt said:
I think you won't be happy until it is new LOL I don't blame you, it's a real PITA when they have any wobble in them (been there done that). Although if youy could live with it weld the ball in place, and if you decide later that it's in the way, just get a new one, maybe you can put off buying a new one for a few months, or you'll get used to it being there, and work around it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts