The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to kick the petrol V8 boys arses in a Speedway 800kg open wheel car powered by a 4B-t Cummins. Would like to get to 5000rpm, and up to 800 ft/lb of torque would be majic. Is this possible, or am I dreaming? If possible would like to advice on turbo sizing, injector sizing, and which pump to use, and I guess the pump mods needed. I dealt to them a few years back with a 13b rotary mazda engine, and now would like to deal to them with a diesel. "Dare to be different"

·
Hot Rod Farm Boy
1,226 Posts
If possible would like to advice on turbo sizing, injector sizing, and which pump to use, and I guess the pump mods needed.
Not sure if he has one picked out yet. They do make 4 cyl P7100's that you would tune like a 12 valve and could turn 5000 with. Other option is usually a 4 cyl VE.

·
Formerly CursedtoFirst45
1,225 Posts
Wouldnt suggest a ve for the sole purpose of turning high rpm

·
Ghost
628 Posts
Would like to kick the petrol V8 boys arses in a Speedway 800kg open wheel car powered by a 4B-t Cummins. Would like to get to 5000rpm, and up to 800 ft/lb of torque would be majic. Is this possible, or am I dreaming? If possible would like to advice on turbo sizing, injector sizing, and which pump to use, and I guess the pump mods needed. I dealt to them a few years back with a 13b rotary mazda engine, and now would like to deal to them with a diesel. "Dare to be different"
Half your weight will be engine, ballast could be a issue. This sounds like a project I'd pay to see. If you do this make sure after you get done beating the v8 petro boys, you take it out on the street and beat the hybrid hippies in fuel economy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys. So what would be the best engine to look for, and what mods do I need?

·
2,063 Posts
looks like you are having problems getting a response? Here I go, I would look for a second generation engine with a P Pump (inline). From there you are going to send a lot of money because you will need to have the rotating assembly blanced for the highest sustained RPM you are going to run, you said 5000 that is a lot. You will need a main girdle, and I would decompress it to 15 or 15.5 to 1 compression raito to help breath at higher RPM. In order to get enough fuel to make 800 ft lbs at 5K you will need a custom pump and injector. Don't forget to fire ring the head and install studs, 80 lbs springs, Ti keepers, you will need a custom intake, a little water, and turbo set for that, well I am not sure maybe a S256 with a 50mm external wastegate over a S464. That should put a hole in your pocket.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes,I was hoping for a better response. Anyway, thank you for your input. Any advice will be carefully considered, especially from guys who have some experience with these awesome little engines.

·
2,063 Posts
Yes,I was hoping for a better response. Anyway, thank you for your input. Any advice will be carefully considered, especially from guys who have some experience with these awesome little engines.
Ok, in what way can I make it better?

·
Tebow-in'...
1,243 Posts
... So what would be the best engine to look for, and what mods do I need?
looks like you are having problems getting a response? Here I go, I would look for a second generation engine with a P Pump (inline). From there you are going to send a lot of money because you will need to have the rotating assembly blanced for the highest sustained RPM you are going to run, you said 5000 that is a lot. You will need a main girdle, and I would decompress it to 15 or 15.5 to 1 compression raito to help breath at higher RPM. In order to get enough fuel to make 800 ft lbs at 5K you will need a custom pump and injector. Don't forget to fire ring the head and install studs, 80 lbs springs, Ti keepers, you will need a custom intake, a little water, and turbo set for that, well I am not sure maybe a S256 with a 50mm external wastegate over a S464. That should put a hole in your pocket.
Yes,I was hoping for a better response. ....
what? um.... i'm pretty sure later just gave you detailed, on-the-money advice.

what were you looking for that you feel you didn't recieve? do you mean the quantity of responses from others?

·
2,063 Posts
Are you restricted on engine placement? The reason I ask is some tracks require the engine harmonic balancer to be even or in front of the front axle, that may make setting up the car difficult. I assume you will run a in-out box? Will you run a quick change? What about a starter? Now engine issues you can make a 3.9 make very good power but it will need lots of air to keep egts in the safe zone, 800 ft lbs at 5k is 800 hp that is a lot and for a diesel to stay together for a 30 lap feature on a mile track that will have to be one good engine. I think it can be done but it will cost.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys, I was very happy with the response I got from "Later". It was the lack of replys prior to his post I was dissapointed with, but I just assumed that what I am attempting is not common for a diesel engine, and so there is not much info around yet

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"Later" - thanks for the follow up man. There is no restriction on engine placement. We have to run a starter, and clutch, as the cars must be able to drive from the pits onto the track under their own power. The longest race we do is 20 laps, and the tracks are only 1/4 mile. The lap times are in the 12 sec range so the engine will only be on power for 3-4 secs on the straightaways. That is why no lag is so important. The car has a Winters Quick Change. The rolling chassis is a sprintcar "Stealth" Chassis, so it has all the good gear in it.

·
Tebow-in'...
1,243 Posts
this will be interesting - i think that it can be done and i can't wait to see what the result is.

also, i'm wondering if 5k rpm will be necessary - diesels don't have to wind up that far to make power. and, like later said, 800ft/lbs at 5k is also almost 800 ponies - that's a bunch!!! i'd shoot more for 500hp and as broad a power band as possible - again turbo selection will be crucial.

i have nothing to offer, just can't wait to see what happens!!:thumbsup

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks mudguppy. that makes good sence.

·
What are sparkplugs
147 Posts
I agree with muddguppy on the rpm's probably only need 3000-4000. also the diesel loves torque which is produced at the lower rpm's and thats what will get ya moving out of the corners with the right gearing you probably won't ever need to go over 3000 rpms. Are you using an auto or stick???? if auto get a lower stall torque converter like a 1800-2000. also a good VB, one that can produce al least 200psi WOT, DUNERITETORQUECONVERTERS.com or goerand would be the guys too talk too about trans work. sstockton would be the guy to talk to about turbos. Will need alot of fuel go with a FASS 150/150 or an AIRDOG 150. Probably a water meth system to help keep egt's down would also help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The car has a direct drive line via a clutch to a quick change rear end.

·
What are sparkplugs
147 Posts
probably need different gears then, with the torque that diesel will put out wont need I really high gear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I figured about 3.9 would do it!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts