The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
twin turbos on a 6.9l? What do you think, two of the same size or small into large?:shrug:

·
Registered
290 Posts
I know of only one guy on another board that has a sequential turbo setup on his IDI (small into big). He uses a regular ATS (I think, could be banks though) wastegated turbo that they offer for our trucks, and that spools into a psd turbo (I think OBS PSD, but I might be wrong). The engine was built by DPS, so it has head studs and what not. He has a Moose pump on it, and it will hit 18psi of boost, and his EGT's are super low, like 800* is the max that he's seen from what I've heard.

True twins would be cool to see, but I think you would have to make custom headers that exit forwards, and then move the batteries to the bed and put the turbo's in there place.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i planning on doing major engine work such as connecting rods, ceramic coated pistions, head studs, push rods and pretty much keeping only the block and crank completly stock.:popcorn:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thats good. Personally I think that sequential turbo's are better as far as performance goes, but on the other hand twin turbo's would look wicked sweet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah with a nice looking cowl hood and every thing chromed.

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
not putting you down at all, but why start with a 6.9?

Garrett

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 6.9l was the first international diesel engine in production to be placed in a ford truck, as an avid lover of both older ford trucks and diesel engines i decided to make my collage project somthing that i loved. i bought this truck cheap as my first vehicle and just somthing to play in, but after some research i found that none of these trucks are being used for high power applications anymore, so i figured i would take mine and bring it back to life. So i chose my first truck to be the one. And being's that the school i will be attending (University Of Northwestern Ohio) (aka: School of Diesel) has a chassie and engine dyno i figured it would be the perfect oppurtunity. To build that baddest IDI in the western hemisphere. LOL:woot:

·
Registered
349 Posts
SSpeeDEMONSS said:

Garrett
Not to be a smart *** but some people like building up an IDI. So much more blood sweat a tears go into the IDI's, Not just taking the easy way and put a chip on it. Besides they were the first diesel's Ford put in, plus on there first try they built a heck of a motor unlike chevy that just screwed up untill they had the D-Max. I'd say go for the twin turbo's just make sure your engine is up to it first and put some head studs in it. You can always waste gate them so you don't push as much boost but flows good volume. My first truck was a 6.9 non turbo and it had over 400,000 miles on it when the speedometer quit and then was drove for another 2 years. They are great motors.

·
Joe Boyer
95 Posts
wknight4x4 said:
The 6.9l was the first international diesel engine in production to be placed in a ford truck, as an avid lover of both older ford trucks and diesel engines i decided to make my collage project somthing that i loved. i bought this truck cheap as my first vehicle and just somthing to play in, but after some research i found that none of these trucks are being used for high power applications anymore, so i figured i would take mine and bring it back to life. So i chose my first truck to be the one. And being's that the school i will be attending (University Of Northwestern Ohio) (aka: School of Diesel) has a chassie and engine dyno i figured it would be the perfect oppurtunity. To build that baddest IDI in the western hemisphere. LOL:woot:
Sonds awesome!!!:Thumbup: keep us up to date.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
10-4 good buddy :drinkingbuddies:

·
2,509 Posts
love it when people dare to be different:Thumbup:

·
981 Posts
pontiacross said:
love it when people dare to be different:Thumbup:
:Thumbup: :Thumbup: :usflag

·
582 Posts
SSpeeDEMONSS said:

Garrett
Why is it that people that don't have anything good to say about IDI's cruise the forum and make comments like that???? Is it a complex or something? If we want to play with them, it's our money and perogative, and our problem...
I would hope you are planning on milling the pistons a bit to be able to make good use of the additional boost... It makes them a bit harder to start, but once they do, they can even give modded powerstrokes a run for their money...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes everything will be machined to give it just enough compression to run but not so much that ill need to replace the hood when the boost gets built:smoke

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
rwaltonky said:
Not to be a smart *** but some people like building up an IDI. So much more blood sweat a tears go into the IDI's, Not just taking the easy way and put a chip on it. Besides they were the first diesel's Ford put in, plus on there first try they built a heck of a motor unlike chevy that just screwed up untill they had the D-Max. I'd say go for the twin turbo's just make sure your engine is up to it first and put some head studs in it. You can always waste gate them so you don't push as much boost but flows good volume. My first truck was a 6.9 non turbo and it had over 400,000 miles on it when the speedometer quit and then was drove for another 2 years. They are great motors.
i understand some like to take time and hard work. i was just asking. dont everybody jump down my throat all at once. sorry, i guess i will just stay away next time.

Garrett

·
JUCK FEEP
367 Posts
fellro86 said:
Why is it that people that don't have anything good to say about IDI's cruise the forum and make comments like that???? Is it a complex or something? If we want to play with them, it's our money and perogative, and our problem..
I thought he asked a legit question no need to be a ***ingdick..........

·
TDG Mafia Member #56
2,050 Posts
There is a guy from New York that is on this forums sometimes, and he had a psd turbo on a stock 6.9 with a 100 shot of NO2. The pump was turned up and I think that was the extent of the engine mods. He told me it ran pretty well and he pulled it that way all summer. To me that is a good place to start, and if you have some spare IDI's, why not piss off the guys with the new trucks if your old IDI can hang with them? LOL

·
Registered
624 Posts
Why start with an IDI? because most people wouldnt!!! Why be like every one else, anyone can make a stroke or cumapart run but not that many try and teach an old dog new tricks!! But no offence taken Garrett. dont worry some of us are all to familar with the jerkoffs that have nothing better to do then raise cane in the forums.

Hey keep us informed of the proggress on this i would be very intrested in any ideas when my motor goes.

Scott

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i will,:popcorn: I had some nitro fuel from a little gas powerd truck and thought i could have some fun will it so i cleaned out my windsheild wiper fluid resevroir and re-routed my hose into the intake. i havent tryed it out yet but ill tell ya'll if it works or not, it might be somthing fun for sat. night!:woot:

·
Registered
290 Posts
I would be careful with that, I know it sounds weird but you might just hydroloc the motor. I know another guy who did that by injecting to much water into his motor and bam, it wasnt a good thing. Do you know what the flow rate is? You should find that out, and then add some nozzles, start out with some small nozzles, then work you way bigger.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts