The Diesel Garage banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
JUCK FEEP
367 Posts
wknight4x4 said:
i will,:popcorn: I had some nitro fuel from a little gas powerd truck and thought i could have some fun will it so i cleaned out my windsheild wiper fluid resevroir and re-routed my hose into the intake. i havent tryed it out yet but ill tell ya'll if it works or not, it might be somthing fun for sat. night!:woot:

:sofa

·
582 Posts
Beer Mod said:
I thought he asked a legit question no need to be a ***ingdick..........
because most of the time, that is what is happening. My apologies if that is not the case. I tire of hearing how it is a waste of time to even start them in the morning, how they are just dogs, yada yada yada... I see it all the time, they come in, knock the IDI, and tout how great the Powerstroke is, it's a waste of time and money to build the 6.9' that kind of crap. With the internet, it is hard to tell if a person is simply asking, or if they are being stupid about it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
rwaltonky said:
Besides they were the first diesel's Ford put in, plus on there first try they built a heck of a motor unlike chevy that just screwed up until they had the D-Max.
AMEN man AMEN :usflag

I hated my 6.2l and my friends have 6.5s. I smoke em! haha:pointlaugh

·
32 Posts
For WKNIGHT4X4 : if you are serious about the twin turbo's ( and I hope you are ) you may want to check with Stan's Headers about buying a set of flanges. You can search for the site on line. This would save you some time making a set of headers for the turbos. Use these with some mandrel bent J's and U's and a header system could be built pretty quick. I would definitely encourage you to use stainless tubing.

By the way, the best line I have seen for the IDI's is "mechanically injected 'cause chips are for dippin". I didn't come up with it but it sure sounds good! Love my 6.9. Will update my signature to show mods.

·
49 Posts
wknight4x4 just do your homework collect all the information you can even from the ones that say it can’t be done. The ones that say it can’t be done can’t think outside of the box.

I for one am building a bus to run on WVO and I bought a turbo for my 7.3 but the 94 Ford 7.3 turbo don’t fit my bus do to the engine mountings in the bus. Some say I can’t mount the turbo under the bus by the transmission but I have taken all the information from the “can’t be done” and “yes that will work” and now have a game plan to put the turbo under the bus and how to mount and plumb the turbo in.

Next thing is to get it done this summer. We will find out how it works and who is right the “Can’t be done” or “Yes that will work”.

Wknight4x4 Good luck.

·
582 Posts
Personally, if you can find the space under there, I don't see a reason it can't work. The heat loss is a concern, but on top of the intake area isn't exactly close to the heat either, so I can't see any reason you can't mount it down low and plumb into it, as well as out. Intercoolers route the air from the turbo a long ways away as well, so what is the issue? Seems doable to me.

·
49 Posts
I have lots of room under the bus for the turbo where if it was a pickup it would be lots tighter.

Exhaust piping is about the same length to the top of the motor to the turbo or by the trans so I should not have any more or less heat loss as if the turbo was on top. Also the piping with the right IC will work better this way. Boost piping would run along the frame and enter the IC that has a lower inlet and exit out the top of the IC in to the manifold. Also the heat is not around the wires and firewall with the turbo by the trans. Oil drain for the turbo was one of the biggest concerns and now I have that taken care of.

·
Mafia #42
3,646 Posts
putting a turbo further back shouldn't be a problem. There is a company called STS that makes rear mount turbo systems for cars and trucks pretty much putting the turbo right after the axle. What they loose in boost they make up for in the cooling it gets on the way up, then intercooled.

Sounds like a neat project, i like to see a Twin'd 6.9

·
Registered
12 Posts
If I were doing what you're thinking, I think I'd want to put some sort of a heat shield between the trans and the turbo to keep the trans fluid/lube from getting too hot, especially after a long hill climb and maybe stopping to sight see or something that didn't keep the air moving under the bus. If you got too much heat transference to the trans you might see an unexpected failure...Just a thought.

·
49 Posts
MDT- that is in the plans with the heat shield and another trans colder just to make sure things stay cool.

The shield I think should also protect the turbo from water splashing up on it. Cold water splashing on a hot turbo in my way of thinking might crack the housing on the turbo.

·
4,827 Posts
fellro86 said:
how they are just dogs, yada yada yada... and money to build the 6.9' that kind of crap.
Mine was a real dog (150hp high alt. engine), and was seriously considering a Banks turbo kit for it. The rest of the truck was nickel and dimeing me to death, so I gave up on it, and bought the Ram. Best move I've made. Not looking back.

The 6.9L is a great engine, but I like my undervalved Cummins better. :D

I want to see some vids when it is done. :Thumbup: :woot:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
10-4 it will be awhile cause i just started at a dodge dealership and got to build up some funds. ill put some vids on here of the build up process.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
i finally found a body off of an f-150 2-wheel drive for $500 ill get some more pics on here when i get it swaped:woot:

·
164 Posts
Wknight4x4, Let me know if you need some header flanges I had some cut from 3/8 when I was going to do what you hopefully will do.I have given a few away to other members who were going to do this but haven't Look at the turbo's from the older 2.5 liter chrysler lebaron's/Mini van's as they are about perfect for this app.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
cool, ill get back with you on that

·
4,827 Posts
wknight4x4 said:
i finally found a body off of an f-150 2-wheel drive for $500 ill get some more pics on here when i get it swaped:woot:
Good time to repaint the frame and fix anything that needs done. :Thumbup:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
yeah, im gonna sand blast it and coat it with rubber seal and i think i found a set of XD wheels for it for $1600

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
:woot: i found a set of heads for my truck they are remaned head that have been port and polised to flow 15% better intake and 20% better exshaust, they come with new valves and springs and all the stuff and they are $1450.00:damnit for each is it worth buying them or doing it myself,:smoke: also i cant find an upgraded cam do you know where i cant get one made?:shrug:

·
Registered
349 Posts
The only place I know to get a bigger cam is Ken at dps performance. He's hard to get a hold of and is slow but he can get a bigger cam made for you for about $400.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Or you could do a custom ground cam, I know a guy with a custom ground cam in an IDI, but I dont know who did it or the lift/duration and what not.

And for the price of those heads, it would be smart to just do it yourself.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts