The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Formerly CursedtoFirst45
1,225 Posts
hx35 over h2e. He fabricated all of the piping, hot and cold. Did a mock up with them out of the truck and bought another hx35 for the time being so he could drive the truck. Search his name and you can find the thread about his twins build.

·
3,514 Posts
Here are some quick pics of the twins.

After I got it in the truck, I had to re-work some of the plumbing to make it fit, and relocate the battery as well. However, I think if you went with 3" plumbing between the 2 turbos, and or, did a completely knew cold pipe between the top turbo outlet and the intercooler, it wouldn't be difficult at all to run the filter in the stock location. The build was really fun, and not as much work as I had anticipated either. I also added a 38mm external gate as well, to help control the turbos and I'm still getting that dialed in. I heard a lot of opposition to the h2e at first as people said that it was too small and couldn't provide enough air. However, I feel that I have ample air with it, and because of the ford boys there is a lot of aftermarket support for the h2e and I can have it modified if need be.

Currently running a drag comp, FASS 95/150, and DDP 110 injectors, I can't get the truck to hit or break 1200 degrees before I back out of it due to Road constraints i.e. going 100mph on the freeway. Passing with a trailer and the box turned all the way up isn't an issue either and towing is amazing. I really think that I have the room to support larger injectors with this set up, if I don't mind seeing higher temps. And if I upgrade to a 2.8" wheel on the bottom charger I could probably clear 200hp sticks just fine.
Hope this helps.
Sean

·
Real Trucks Rattle
62 Posts
Very nice setup! :thumbsup

·
3,514 Posts
Thanks, they work great. I'm thinking about re plumbing them to try and help the bottom charger spool a little quicker. And the next project is a Intake horn which should help EGT's and throttle response even more.

As far as EGT's go, I'm running larger injectors than I had with a single and I'm still 500-600 degrees lower.
Sean

·
Ghost
628 Posts
Thanks, they work great. I'm thinking about re plumbing them to try and help the bottom charger spool a little quicker. And the next project is a Intake horn which should help EGT's and throttle response even more.

As far as EGT's go, I'm running larger injectors than I had with a single and I'm still 500-600 degrees lower.
Sean
Are you going to try and center the intake?

·
3,514 Posts
I'm not sure. I haven't pulled the intake manifold off to look at what it would take to do that. I was thinking more along the lines of a CFM style intake horn, just to flow more air, and help it breathe a little better. Centered would be really cool though, I'll have to look into what that would take. It may not be that hard really. Or even the twin ram like the banks setup seems kinda cool.
Sean

·
Ghost
628 Posts
I'm not sure. I haven't pulled the intake manifold off to look at what it would take to do that. I was thinking more along the lines of a CFM style intake horn, just to flow more air, and help it breathe a little better. Centered would be really cool though, I'll have to look into what that would take. It may not be that hard really. Or even the twin ram like the banks setup seems kinda cool.
Sean
The fuel lines get in the way for the twin ram. I've seen it on the side though. I figured since you were successful in crafting your own twins, centering the intake would be nothing. Centering that should net you a over increase in fuel mileage too.

·
3,514 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to take a closer look at the fuel lines and where they fall tomorrow and see what I can figure out. I'd like to keep the grid heater too, but that shouldn't be hard. I've been thinking about getting some powder coating work done on it, and that would look pretty sweet.
Sean

·
Ghost
628 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to take a closer look at the fuel lines and where they fall tomorrow and see what I can figure out. I'd like to keep the grid heater too, but that shouldn't be hard. I've been thinking about getting some powder coating work done on it, and that would look pretty sweet.
Sean
Does it get pretty cold in that part of CA?

·
3,514 Posts
sometimes into the 20's at night and in the early morning. Not crazy cold though.
Sean

·
85 Posts
I've got a he351 over a 3b in my 01. Works great. I've also made a hx35 over 3b on a twelve valve. Both spooled good but the he351 twins on the 01 are great for spoolup. I had a b1-b2 on this same truck and didn't like it at all with the tight convertor the truck has.
What year truck are you looking to put these on? The hx35 really needs a external wastegate or the internal gate reworked to flow more exhaust and hold down back pressure. I cut the wastegate hole out larger on the he351 and put a spring wastegate on it. On test runs on the highway I had no boost creep no matter how much fuel was thrown at it.
I'm building another set of he351 over 3b for my wifes truck. It's the best street twins I've run into.

·
3,514 Posts
That'd be an interesting set up. Whats the outlet for the he351 like? I've seen that they have a vband attachment for the exhaust on the newer trucks, but didn't know if the vband was part of another flange, or elbow like the hx's. Or does your hot pipe hook up with a vband? I'm running a 38mm external gate on my hx35 secondary.
Sean

·
Formerly CursedtoFirst45
1,225 Posts

Sean
by "replumbing" do you mean changing out the 4" bends to 3" tubing? Mine is setup with 3.5" or 3" and it spools instantly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts