The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running twins on their LBZ? I am shooting for about 550HP, figured twins would be the best bet, drivability wise. Not sure how long the stock turbo would last at that #? :popcorn:

·
1,409 Posts
With EFI live shouldn't you be able to get close to 550? How "undriveable" would a tune like that be with an auto??

·
3,939 Posts
Wayne, I'd keep your goal to 500rwhp until you have a serious heart-to-heart with Merchant. 550 is really starting to push it with the stock internals, even the "upgraded" LBZ stuff.

A well-thought-out 550rwhp tune, with a proper trans, could be a nice driver. I know Tony has some tunes out there that are very smooth at those power levels. Heck, Keith drives around on his big tune every day.

·
Mafia member #105
2,262 Posts
My truck runs well hehe.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was not sure how long the stock turbo could last at 500hp, so I meant "drivability" of twins rather than a bigger single. OK, so no turbo for now(won't hurt my feelings LOL). Remember, I am still use to Fords LOL, 500hp is BIG goal in that world, not so much with a Chevy. :poke:

·
Mafia member #105
2,262 Posts
Make 500 with the stock LBZ all day long with a good efi live tune or ppe tune, egts werent that bad on my truck with the stock turbo towing on the high tune, just need a built trans and fuel pump.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just waiting on winter to come after the parks shut down, then head to Merchant for some work :woot:

Trans
EFI installed
FASS

·
Registered
390 Posts
the way to do it is,built trans,Lift pumps,EFILive or PPE=500+rwhp.

·
102 Posts
I wouldn't push the LBZ rods over 650 rwhp. On the dyno 500-650 rwhp came really easy, but it was slow going from 650 to 700rwhp on the dyno when I had a stock lbz shortblock in my 2002. The LBZ pistons seem to be a roll of the dice. I had one let go dragracing at 700rwhp but others had problems with less power and others haven't had a problem at all. My current setup in my signature below is the original 2002 LB7 motor and LB7 pistons with some bowl work from SoCal Diesel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
at merchants spring fling I pulled off 509 at the wheels with McRats tune and no lift pump. I ran that tune from the middle of march at 25K miles till now 40k + with no problems and pretty good milage as well, max of 22 usually 19+ all highway and 17 to 18 around town. I added a lift pump 2 weeks ago and that REALLY woke up that tune now that the fuel rail can hold pressure.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really, I would be more than happy with that. Which truck was yours? I would be more than happy with anything at or over 500RWHP, so looks I will get what I want cheaper than I was expecting. Now it's time to set a date with Merchants tranny bench LOL

·
CENTRAL IOWA #1
90 Posts
the just built a truck in diesel power that made 641 at the rear wheels
gt4094r turbo ppe hot +2 xcelerator and dual cp3 upgraded trans

·
Mafia member #105
2,262 Posts
polarischevy05 said:
the just built a truck in diesel power that made 641 at the rear wheels
gt4094r turbo ppe hot +2 xcelerator and dual cp3 upgraded trans
That would be Joe's truck owner of PPE , Thats there shope truck aka his everyday driver.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Twins offer some great driveability, but I think you can darn near accomplish the same thing with a good single. Like Henry's setup, a GT40 or a 66mm charger will do wonders. As all have said, above 550 hp and your playing with fire on the internals.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts