The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gents,
The easy question, has anyone heard about a trail master brand of gooseneck flatbed? They are built by McCollum Custom Trailers out of Cookville, Texas. Secondly, I have a question regarding the legality of a private individual towing a personal use trailer only. It happens to be a 40 ft goose with electric dual tandem 12k axles. I have no reason to believe that it is registered below 22k. So the question is, without a CDL class A, will the weight control man stop me and charge me money? Thanks!

Caleb

·
49 Posts
There are alot of "what if's" in the second question. You don't need a CDL if you using it for personnal use. Each state also has their on laws. CA has a non-cdl license, NY has a "R" endorsement and there are a lot of farm use/cdl stuff out there. 2 12k axles + truck = more then 26k and can easily get confusing because your in CDL land. If your travel into different states it can get worse. My truck (13k) & 5th wheel (14.5k) gross weight is 27.5k. I went and got a "R" endorsement. NY registation is by the individual weight of the truck & trailer. If I go to PA, the truck has to include the trailer weight on the register on the truck. So in their eyes I could be 14.5k over registered weight. I have several long convesations with my DMV and State Police truck enforcement before I got it all figured out. Having a trailer that big I would think you would get pulled over for driving by a check point. Do your research.

·
2,063 Posts
CDL laws are the same accross the country... each state choises to enforce them their own way.

Any trailer with tandem duals or 10,000 lbs Gross Weight Rating will be subject to a CDL unless it is for Ag use, then the rules get bent just a little. More than likely you will need a Class B CDL.

·
3 Posts
CDL laws are the same accross the country... each state choises to enforce them their own way.

Any trailer with tandem duals or 10,000 lbs Gross Weight Rating will be subject to a CDL unless it is for Ag use, then the rules get bent just a little. More than likely you will need a Class B CDL.
That is absolutely untrue!

You need a CDL if the trailer GVWR is over 10,000ls AND the total combined GVWR is 26001lbs or more. So if your truck GVWR is 12000, you cqn pull a trailer with up to 14000lbs GVWR without a CDL. As soon as you go over the combined GVWR of 26000lbs AND your trailer has a GVWR of over 10000lbs you need a CDL class A

Class B CDL is for a straight truck over 26000 GVWR

Mitch

2002 Ford E350SD GVWR 11500
2005 Sun Country 53' Wedge GVWR 14000
No CDL

·
2,063 Posts
You need a current copy of the Federal Motor Carrier SAFETY Regulation Parts 383, 390-397, 399 Read that then get back with your better informed comments.

And by the way the Reg's are getting ready to change again.

Later

·
3 Posts
You need a current copy of the Federal Motor Carrier SAFETY Regulation Parts 383, 390-397, 399 Read that then get back with your better informed comments.

Later
I read them and I stand by what I posted. i know it to be factual, I go through weigh stations all the time and get inspected regularly. I don't know every rule in the book, but I know the rules pertaining to CDL reqirements on small combination vehicles because my livelyhood depends on it.

·
645 Posts
You do not need a CDL if you are "Recreational" in fact you don't even need a "drivers license" unless you are "driving."

The definition of "driving", as it applies to the law, is transporting for hire on public ways.

If you are not for hire you are simply a "traveler" exercising your right to travel.

when it come to DOT pigs, if you don't give them any evidence that you are are engaging in some type of commerce then they have no probable cause to give you a ticket.

When my servant (cop) pulls me over and asks me what I am doing or were I am going I tell them it is none of their business and I stick to my guns. They get pissed go back to there cruiser and most of the time come back and ask me if I am selling or hauling the hay or horses. I tell them it is none of their business and they let me go.

We The People really need to keep in mind and remind the cops they are there to serve us, not the money hungry legislature

·
2,063 Posts
Take a deep breath and think for just one minute.

Each state choises to enforce the rules the way they want.

Only a lawyer or a judge can interpet the law. Everyone can read them.

That is why when a highway patrol writes a ticket you can appeal.

The rules are a little different in the way they apply to AG use.

I am not here to start a argument, I am just tell you if you get caught by the right law enforcement you may have problems. Isn't that why the question was ask in the first place to avoid problems. Just call the local Highway Patrol and talk to them they will make everthing clear as mud but you will know what they will do. States are cracking down and trying to make up lost taxes by writing tickets.

·
54 Posts

Why would someone with so little knowledge of the law offer advice on said law?

·
54 Posts

Later
Mrcars is absolutely correct.

I highly recommend you read the FMCSR because you are clearly the one that is uninformed in this thread.

·
2,063 Posts
Mrcars is absolutely correct.

I highly recommend you read the FMCSR because you are clearly the one that is uninformed in this thread.
What ever, the Weights and Lic. guys will love you.

And it has been more than 10 years since I got a ticket, how about you.

·
2,063 Posts
You are right I read them and I do my best to stay out of trouble.

You should read them for yourself and apply them the way they are writen so you can stay out of trouble also. But no one can force you to do the right thing, you must make that decission yourself.

By the way what is your issue? If you do not hear or read the answer .....?

·
54 Posts
You are right I read them and I do my best to stay out of trouble.
If you read them then you do not comprehend them. Otherwise you wouldn't make such ignorant and blatantly false statements. And then on top of it tell someone you truly knows and understands the regulations that they are uninformed.

Maybe you could shows us where we are wrong and shows us what you base your theories on?

·
2,063 Posts
Hey gents,
The easy question, has anyone heard about a trail master brand of gooseneck flatbed? They are built by McCollum Custom Trailers out of Cookville, Texas. Secondly, I have a question regarding the legality of a private individual towing a personal use trailer only. It happens to be a 40 ft goose with electric dual tandem 12k axles. I have no reason to believe that it is registered below 22k. So the question is, without a CDL class A, will the weight control man stop me and charge me money? Thanks!

Caleb
The correct answer is talk to the DPS. They will do a courtesy inspection. This is also under the thread titled Heavy/Med duty/ ect.... That makes it CDL time.

·
54 Posts
Where am I wrong?
Are you illiterate? 'Cuz it has already been pointed out.

Recap for you.

Trailers over 10,000 GVWR alone do not require a CDL.

You can't operate a combination vehicle like the OP is asking about with a class B.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts