The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hotsauce2138
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys wat would be best?
i have a afe stage 1 intake right now but i want more air flow so what do i need to do?
i have pondered the thought of a airaid stage 2 or a afe stage 2 or a tymar intake from lidiesel for $100?

if i get the tymar intake will it out perform my afe stage 1?
wat would be the pros and cons of the tymar?

:thanks:

SAM

·
Registered
311 Posts
HotSauce2138,

Performance wise the Stage I is even with the open element systems and maybe slightly better as it keeps hot underhood air out! The Stage II AFE is the king of intakes, just ask anyone that has one. We have a special year end sale on them if you decide to go that way.

Mark @ DPPI

·
Hotsauce2138
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So then if I went with the Tymar i would cut my performance down?

SAM

·
1,726 Posts
It seems like I read a post of yours saying you have an afe stage 1 intake. If so you do not stand to gain a whole lot of horsepower by changing your intake. I have not seen any dyno sheets to prove it but I would bet there is not more than 10 hp difference between all of the aftermarket intakes made - including the Tymar. 10 hp in my oppinion is hardly worth chasing on a race car let alone a street vehicle but it all depends on the money you have to spend to get it.

Another thing to keep in mind is paper elements will provide suppirior filtration to the oiled gause or oiled foam type filters (thats why the OEM's use them).

Not trying to talk you out of anything, just stating some facts.

·
Hotsauce2138
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thnx racehauler!

i dont know what to do get a afe stage 2 is so damn expensive. and then the araid stage 2 is cheaper but the tymar is cheap and i like the look of the big *** paper filter element filter like we have our machines and trucks. so i dont know i would really like some more opinions and peoples 2 cents.

thnx

SAM

·
Hotsauce2138
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what do ya'll think?

i dont know what to do!

SAM

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a home made Tymar that I love. It cost me about $45-$50 when I made it up about 3 years ago. After one year I calculated the amount that it saved me on stock filters and it was around $300 over a 12 month time period. Plus there's no messy oiled gause to clean & re-oil, just pop in a new paper element & i'm done. And personally I think the amount of underhood heat that the open element filter let's in is hardly enough to measuer, let alone be worried about. I'd like to see some dyno sheets that show a difference that's big enough to be concerned about that will justify buying a high dollar afe system.

My vote is for a Tymar.

A little trivia for everyone. Does anyone know where the Tymar name came from or what it stands for?

·
Registered
79 Posts
TYMAR means Take Your Money And Run.
Dale did a lot of testing before he started selling them. If the truck is going over 25 MPH, the underhood temps are about 10-20* above outside ambient temps. There is no worrying of sucking in hot underhood air. If it is 100+ outside and you are sitting still idleing, you will, but it is nothing to be concerned about. If you dont believe me, call and talk to Dale at 509-922-8785. He will tell you what it is all about.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Forever Stroked said:
TYMAR means Take Your Money And Run.
Dale did a lot of testing before he started selling them. If the truck is going over 25 MPH, the underhood temps are about 10-20* above outside ambient temps. There is no worrying of sucking in hot underhood air. If it is 100+ outside and you are sitting still idleing, you will, but it is nothing to be concerned about. If you dont believe me, call and talk to Dale at 509-922-8785. He will tell you what it is all about.
I am confused. What are you trying to say?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been thinking about upgrading my intake too (still stock.) I'm trying to choose between a diy Tymar and the AFE Stage 2. Everyone talks up the AFE, but it's so darn expensive! I like the idea of the Tymar, but my concerns are that 1) some of the people who start with the Tymar end up with an AFE, and 2) some people talk of the excessive noise associated with the Tymar.

Anyone have any thoughts that might help me decide?

·
Hotsauce2138
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think extra noise is good. lol
but yea im on the ropes between afe stage 2 and a tymar intake
i need people who have experience with both to put in some of their .02 please

SAM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts