The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quick question. My u joint is going out on my truck. What kind of bolts are holding the driveshaft at the rear of the transmission. they look like they have a star shaped head.

Is their anything special i need to do to drop the drive shaft. I've never removed a two piece drive shaft

·
211 Posts
I like to start at the rear axle. Loosen the u-joint straps, and drop the rear half of the shaft. Be careful to set it on some cardboard.

Then remove one bolt from the carrier bearing, and loosen the other.

Remove the bolts from the trans, and while holding it with one hand, remove the last carrier bearing bolt. It will suddenly get very heavy. If you are doing this on the ground, you can use one leg to hold the driveshaft while removing the last bolt.

Woody

Reactions: n2diesel

·
1,700 Posts
you need a 12mm 12pt socket preferably impact, and swivel. if you need to split the 2 piece use a paint marker or good tire crayon and mark a straight line from one end to the other. you will need to spline the driveshaft back together exactly or bad vibes will happen.

·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys

·
568 Posts
I like to mark all of the yolks to make sure its going back like it was or there may be vibration . Look at the bearing cups on the u joints if they are shiny the cup could be spinning in the yoke which usually means the yoke is bad and needs to be replaced . Go ahead and put some grease on the slip and stub while its apart .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts