The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
182 Posts
Are the u-joints makin any noise? Just wonderin why your replacing them. I'm at 99k miles now and have only had to replace front hubs so far.

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
mine has a slight vibe also, im hoping once i mount my new wheels that will go away. Keep us posted on if that stuff cures yours.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
I was wondering why you replaced the hubs and how big of a job was it Doc?
The hubs are sealed units so you have to replace the whole thing. Not to big of a job, just time consuming. :happymugs

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
I guess one of the rear wheels was bent on mine because when I mounted my new tires/wheels I only reused the steer wheels and now the vibe is gone.:woohoo

i also had a tire guy tell me one of the original steel wheels looked bent, so i was hoping thats what it was.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
new tires too Nick?

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
new tires too Nick?
yes sir, cognito leveling kit, eagle alloy wheels, 285/75/16 goodyear duratrac tires, and 2" spacers on the rear. :thumbsup

·
Powerstroke Puller
167 Posts
I had to replace a u-joint on saturday as well. It started makin noise and was soo annoying! lol. 110K on mine

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
I had to replace a u-joint on saturday as well. It started makin noise and was soo annoying! lol. 110K on mine
Welcome to the dark side, how you liking the lbz? :happymugs

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Which u-joint are you guys finding is first to fail?

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
The rear one is usually the first to go, at least that's the one I had to replace anyway.

·
Administrator
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Which u-joint are you guys finding is first to fail?
For my truck it was the rear. I had heard it squeaking for awhile, and was ignoring it like an idiot. After a couple months it took out the carrier, so better get them fixed ASAP.

I know 2 other guys locally had the carrier bearing go first, with no u-joint problems. Both have 22.5" rims/tires. I don't know if that means anything or just dumb luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts