Looking to build a truck. Here's what I'd like to have in a "perfect world":

4x4
DRW
Diesel
HEAVY suspension
flat bed w/ 5th wheel possibly with transfer tank & tool boxes
maybe even a plow
Under $10K :haha

The use will be pulling smaller farm equipment around, refueling, maintenance, etc.

The F-450/550 may be only choice. I'd rather have a 4x4 Dodge/Cummins/3500/NV, but for every one of those, there's 50 F-450/550's. I also would rather have a DMAX/Ally or 6 speed, but they;'re too new to afford.

Suggestions?

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wayne,

I had a '99 F-450 4x4. They came in 4x4 from the first year model. You might be thinking of the 4500/5500's???

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts
Reactions: Duke

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really would prefer NOT to go back into anothe Ford, but that is the best chassis. If it was a ZF-6 & 7.3L, it might work OK.

Would rather have Dodge/Cummins/NV/DRW 4x4.

I think because of my price range, Dodge may be the only heavy-duty tow rig under 10K available.

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, that's close to what I want!!

Tell me, how do you search "nationally" on Craig's list? I seem to only be able to search locally.....

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts
idk if you can...where you located and how gar you willing to travel?

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts
Looks like a 4x2 :damnit
Sorry my bad. Where you want to keep looking at? need an area

I just called and yep its 2wheel ****

·
590 Posts
best way i have found to do a national craiglist search is simply google. example; [craigslist f450 4x4 truck] may not get all the hits, but google itself gets many. fwiw my 01' f450 4x4 has been an excellent truck, closeing in on 350k , the only major repair's has been the auto tranny. it's currently on the second replacment. not to shabby for what it's been through ..

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry, I know you love Ford, but no way will I EVER do a 4R100/E4OD Ford trans again in my life. Built like toilet tissue inside....LOL

·
590 Posts
i,am not to crazy about any auto in a truck under my type of useage. really dont much care for them in the mediums either. in a car,suv ,1/2 ton truck, i wouldnt have anything but an auto. they do have their place under certain conditions commericaly though.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts