The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 F350 Powerstroke with the E40D Auto Tranny that is completly stock. Only thing i have done is take out the muffler and cat. I am looking to buy a Superchips 1705 Tuner. It will gain up to 80 HP and 115 TQ in Performance Mode. But i pull trailers constantly and would use the 40 HP and 70 TQ setting mostly. And I Like the fact that i can read the codes on it.
Is this a good tuner?
I have known people that have had this tuner and had good luck.

Is there any other upgrades i need in order to safely run this product?

I plan to get gauges including: Trans Temp, Pyrometer, and Boost. Is there and more gauges i should look at getting

I don't want to cause damage to the engine in anyway so any help would be great

·
Registered
624 Posts
there are better tuners out there than superchips I think that twildman's tunes are the best for the OBS and you would surely benefit from an intake and exhaust system to keep the exhaust temps down as far as hurting the truck as long as you dont go crazy on the tuning and abuse your truck it will last a long time. good maintance is always a must for long life.

BTW Welcome to the garage!!!

·
The Big Meanie
5,220 Posts
Most definately guages...........intake and exhaust will help alot to. If your on a budget, you can make your own open air intake for less than $50. Exhaust wise, at least swap out the downpipe. If your looking at towing, maybe a chip would fit you better than a tuner????? Just for the ease of changing the settings on the fly.

kevin

·
TDG Mafia Member # 37
901 Posts
I had the SCMT 1705 and while I can not say anything bad about it. It definitely is not as good as Jody Tipton's (DP-Tuner) tunes. I have not personally run anything from TWILDMAN, but several people say his tunes are very good also. I would get the SCT Xcal2 with either TWILDMAN or DP-Tuner tunes on the programmer. You will get more power, better fuel economy, better trans strategies, lower trans temps and lower EGT's with their tunes compared to the SCMT1705. I can tel you for a fact that DP-Tuner's 80 hp economy tune was worlds better than my SCMT1705 in the 90 or 110 hp mode. Now with my 120 hp tune from Jody look out holy schizz it. I pulled my 5'er all summer long with this tune and got over 16mpg doing it. This was calculated from actual miles traveled divided by gallons used. Hope this helps ya, Gene. :mafia

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks alot everyone! I honestly do not know much about working on these engines. So i would not know how to make my own intake. I would rather have a tuner than a chip. along with the power increase i would like to read my trouble codes if something goes wrong. I don't really need alot more power because i can pull everything i hook onto just fine, but the 40hp and 70TQ that i will get on the tow mode would be fine. I ussually only pull about 14000 to 20000 lbs. maybe 25000 if i get carried away when i load cattle. haha. But my budget is pretty tight, so if i knew how much it would cost to get a programmer from someone on here, like DP or Twildman that would help.
thanks again everyone. Glad to be aboard here

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Alot SeeYa, This Should Help Alot
Do you have any preferences as to which one?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Tuner

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I have a 2002 PSD with DP-Tuner from Jody. It is everything I have expected and more. I do know they stand behind their work and will send you program changes if needed or if you modify something on your truck. I put a new transmission valve body in and Jody emailed me the new program for the transmission change. Great people, GREAT product.:Thumbup:

·
6,337 Posts
circle5 said:
Thanks alot everyone! I honestly do not know much about working on these engines. So i would not know how to make my own intake. I would rather have a tuner than a chip. along with the power increase i would like to read my trouble codes if something goes wrong. I don't really need alot more power because i can pull everything i hook onto just fine, but the 40hp and 70TQ that i will get on the tow mode would be fine. I ussually only pull about 14000 to 20000 lbs. maybe 25000 if i get carried away when i load cattle. haha. But my budget is pretty tight, so if i knew how much it would cost to get a programmer from someone on here, like DP or Twildman that would help.
thanks again everyone. Glad to be aboard here

Got to do a down pipe on the OBS, you will understand why when you see one. It is about pinched flat!:damnit

You will not see more then an 80hp boost with any chip or programmer on the OBS, the injectors are too small... Your best bet is to get a 4-6 pos chip and run a stock, 40, 60, 80, and a HI Idle setting...

I think I have a pic of one kind of intake for the OBS... This is from SP Diesels site but you can make one similar or buy his...

Attachments

·
The Big Meanie
5,220 Posts
and here is the intake on the truck..........

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again everyone, you are all helpful
The intake from spdiesel i am lookin at getting.
I have looked at the downpipe on my pickup and seen i was a rectangle, but a mechanic guy i know said that is as good as a 3in round one? i don't know i guess. I have thought about going to a 4in Turbo Back. That what he has on his OBS but he had to do some major bending and pounding to fit that 4" downpipe in.
That's fine that i won't get more than 80 HP, Like i said i am not looking to gain an incredible amount. Just want a little bit and to read my codes.
How is the Edge Evolution Programmer? I have heard of some people liking that one too.

·
6,337 Posts
Of the two I like the superchips better... its what I ran on mine...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
As far as downpipe - once you get the stocker out you will realize just how restrictive it is. I used a staged 3"-3.5"-4" downpipe from Tymar Performance. It widens at each point that it can, to get the least flow restriction possible in an OBS. It took an hour of sawzall and crowbar work to flatten out the body seam for clearance, but it made a world of difference. I ran my truck with no other changes except the exhaust (I already had a Tymar intake on it), and it was very noticeable in power and EGTs.

I use the Edge Evolution, but plan to change to a DP-tuner chip. My Edge makes good peak HP, but the low rpm torque levels are not quite there. I also wanted the switch-on-the-fly capability, as I also tow and haul a camper. Even with my 5" exhaust and free-flowing intake, I have had to pull over to reflash from "Race" to "Tow" mode since my EGTs were getting out of hand. This was at maybe 3k ft of elevation with a total GVW of 11500 lbs. The beauty of custom tunes is that they are optimized for your particular situation rather than one-size-fits-all.

I am biased, but I really do think you need some gauges right away!

Regards,
Michael Pliska

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes the gauges are goin in soon!
Trans Temp, EGT, Boost is there more i should look at?

·
6,337 Posts
I had to do it...

Attachments

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My last pickup was a 97 F250 was the identical clone to that truck! Except for the visor. White with the dark blue bottom!

Does the downpipe have to be done before i get the tuner or can that be done afterwards?

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok thank you.
When i took my cat out it droped the temp a whole letter on the gauge.

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am looking at a True Flow Foam Air Filter. but they don't make one for the OBS, should i just buy a replacement filter and use my stock air box?

·
TDG MAFIA #94
519 Posts
by me being a country boy, and looking at ur sticker, your probably hauling a horse trailer! i have been looking into the dif. guages a little bit because i pull a trailer constantly also. i dont have much info. on them yet, but i do know that it can come in handy when your pulling the trailer to keep an eye on the temp. in there since it will be working harder than if your not pulling the trailer. hope this helps!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts