The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about ready to do the swap and I need all the pointers I can get. What all do I have to change? Just the timing cover or do I have to swap the timing gears too? I know I also have to change injector lines.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Timing cover has to be changed but the cam has to be pulled to do so. You also have to use p pump lines with 2nd gen p pump injector bodies.Gears are all the same. Your gonna need a piston lift pump aswell.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The tip difference are on the bottom side where it goes in the head, not on top. Its been found to be a lot cheaper and a thousand times easier to sell what ya have and buy a p-pump motor, not to mention the other little stuff on the 94-98 12v that helps them be such power grabbers. Go to 1stgen.org to find all the benefits of the engine and the lack of reasoning in the swap.

·
133 Posts
the 92 should have 7mm injector tips just like the 94-98 p-pumped engines so just swap out the injectors...also dont forget the oil line to the p-pump between the vacuum and IP on the block, Piston lift pump, Locate The pumps tdc and lock it with the pin on the side of the pump or use a dial indicator to retime the pump (dial indicator works better)

·
Registered
148 Posts
ya splnut is right should be 7mm head and unless your hg is popped Ide leave it alone and run that head. You can also time it by pinning the motor,pinning the pump then your in stock timing position.

·
444 Posts
the 92 should have 7mm injector tips just like the 94-98 p-pumped engines so just swap out the injectors.
The injectors will swap out. But the P-pump engines have a different piston than a 1st gen does. The spray angles are different between the two styles injectors.

Have a set of 1st gen tips installed and have the pop pressures set for the P-pump.

·
Registered
973 Posts
In '94-95 the top ring landing changed from 14mm to 8mm and back to 14mm in '96-98. The piston bowl design only changed between the intercooled and non-intercooled motors, so all 7mm bore head motors use the same bowl design which means the spray pattern is not different. And your injectors are 6x0.018" not 6x0.0018", even though I doubt Jon went that route.

·
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If this cold would ever let up I'd get started at this swap.

·
133 Posts
Philip said:
The injectors will swap out. But the P-pump engines have a different piston than a 1st gen does. The spray angles are different between the two styles injectors.

Have a set of 1st gen tips installed and have the pop pressures set for the P-pump.
98.5 and up moved the bowl to the center for the 24v engines...89-98.4 had the same bowl but had some slight changes thru the years to do with ring placement

Smokem said:
In '94-95 the top ring landing changed from 14mm to 8mm and back to 14mm in '96-98. The piston bowl design only changed between the intercooled and non-intercooled motors, so all 7mm bore head motors use the same bowl design which means the spray pattern is not different. And your injectors are 6x0.018" not 6x0.0018", even though I doubt Jon went that route.
6X .018 really?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Smokem said:
The piston bowls were not all the same, reread my post, and then believe what I say.
:D Not sure why, but I think that's funny LOL

·
444 Posts
Smokem I corrected my typo. LOL

Now here are some links to a couple of pic's. The first one is a marine 370 injector. Note the spray angles. This is a P-pump injector.

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u97/Philip1952/?action=view&current=inj1.jpg

This second pic is a 6 hole stock IC'd 1st gen injector.

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u97/Philip1952/?action=view&current=inj1.jpg

I'll give the credit for this info to a TDR member with the handle of JSchlacha. In that same thread another member stated there was about a 10 degree spray angle difference between the two injectors.

I don't know if a nonmember will be able to view it. But here is the link to that thread.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/...m-1989-1993/149280-injector-tip-pictures.html

·
Tebow-in'...
1,243 Posts
btw, if you hold down the alt key and type 248 in the key pad you can get a degree symbol: 10° :poke:

·
386 Posts
I was reading the new Diesel Power & there was a bushing different for injectors, I don't have it here, left it at work, is it the non intercooled that have the different size injector holes? was it 9mm

1 - 20 of 21 Posts