The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
This is a question for anyone who bought a used 2003 or 2004 6.0 litre .
Did you have any issues with the motor ?, how much warranty coverage was left.
I am in the market for a diesel and on a buget. I would like to get a Ford 250 or 350 but am very hesitent because of the reputation the 03 and 04 have,very problematic.

Are they really that bad.:shrug:

thanks
gssuperduty

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I bought the truck in my sig with 46K miles on it. Now has a little over 60K and so far no problems. Love the truck. Love the power.

Make sure you get an Oasis report on truck. If everything checks out it should be good!

Good luck!

·
3,306 Posts
I bought the truck in my sig. in december of '04. It had only 10,000 miles on it at the time, now it just turned 44k. Never really had too many problems with it.

·
Still kickin
670 Posts
Long story short, the guy that owned my truck before me overheated the engine real bad, replaced under warranty at 70k. I bought the truck at 71k, it developed a knock at 73k, took it back to the dealer and they replaced the short block since it had a "manufacturing defect". I'm at 108k now and haven't had any problems since.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Wow john! So your truck has had three different engines in it?

·
422 Posts
I bought mine with 47k on it. At 49k the turbo took a crapper, as well as the egr, and some other minor issues, ic boots, stuff like that. Since I had the new turbo (refurb actually) installed it has run great. Have 54k on it now. The first thing I did after getting everything fixed at the dealer was to do all the mods in my sig,....runs awesome now!!

·
Still kickin
670 Posts
Mlhaynes8302 said:
Wow john! So your truck has had three different engines in it?
Yes, although I don't really consider the second one. It only lasted a few thousand. Something wasn't right with 3 of the cylinders. They all wore out a small section of the side causing an oval shape. So the tick was the piston slapping around from side to side. The only replaced the short block that time.

·
317 Posts
I would save some more pennies and buy an 05 or newer. There where alot of improvements and the coil front end rides much better.Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
68 Posts
04 F250

I bought mine a little over five months ago. The only problem I have had was the plastic CAC pipe. If you have one of these plastic pipe, I would highly recommend replacing this. It was covered under the Ford factory warranty. Other than that, I haven't had any problems with it, and truly do love my truck.

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
ive got an 03. bought it around a year and a half ago with 53K on it. no major problems on the carfax......now i have 118K on it. HPOP was replaced under warranty, other than that no major problems...wear and tear! just had to replace the tranny but 500 rwhp for around a year on the stock trans...cant complain bout that too much! LOL

·
422 Posts
Everything covered under warranty,..only cost me 100 bucks.

·
317 Posts
I had an early 03 and it was a headache, after about 10 trips to the dealer for multiple problems i gave up and hired a lawyer. Ford reaquired my 03 and I now have an 07 with 12k and have not had any issues with the new truck as of yet. Warranty is great IF you can get them to fix your problems. Also IF you can do without your truck while they have it in the shop. The dealers I have dealt with are overwhelmed with work and many of their techs seem poorly trained or lazy. Many times my truck came back to me with hundreds of dollars of bogus repairs charged back to Ford. Seems many techs and dealers are more concerned with filling their pockets rather than takeing care of customer concerns. With any luck my new truck will never see the inside of a dealer. Sorry for the rant.

·
Still kickin
670 Posts
Everything I had was covered under warranty. The 03s seem to be hit or miss. Either you have a good one, or a bad one. I haven't had any issues other than the engine replacement. And I blame that on the previous owner. I think a rad hose let loose and he drove it until it shut down to try and get home. Not the smartest guy in the world. I would say get an 04 or an 06-07 if you had the choice. The 05's seem to have had minor issues since it was the first year of the newer design. Something about the HPOP fittings and instrument cluster I believe.

·
225 Posts
my 03 has been good. has only blown the intake pressure gauge under the hood once. they threw me a freebie.
other then that, sometimes when im towing and under a load, heading up a slight incline, it will turbo fart, i always that it only did that when letting off the pedal however mine seems to do it sometimes when towing under pressure, is something wrong or is that normal. i have valant intake,mbrp4 inch no kitty, and hopefully gettin the sct soon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts