The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and a buddy of mine are contemplating either setting up a biodiesel processor or running our vehicles on straight used cooking oil with an onboard filtering system.

How do our dodges hold up to the used cooking oil?

What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks

·
Super limo owner
1,122 Posts
I would image it would be fine the extra oil in the fuel is good for all.

Pros and cons

My guess time and money.
What the weather is like.

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
Bio Diesel
PROS:
Pours directly into fuel tank with no modifications needed to the truck.
Increased lubricity over Dino fuel.
No worries about purging the fuel system before shutting off the truck.

CONS:
Time involved in processing.
You need to build a processor.
You need chemicals to process the fuel.
The fuel gels at higher temps than Dino fuel.

SVO
PROS:
Oil can be run through truck with filtering and drying only.
Chemicals are not needed.
Processing is much easier.

CONS:
Extensive modifications need to be made to the truck to run oil.
You have to let the truck run on diesel to purge the lines every time you want to shut the truck off.
Straight oil can solidify in low temperatures.

I am sure there are more pros and cons to each but these are the big ones.

·
I be Architect'n
351 Posts
^ What he said. I will also add that once I converted my rigs to SVO that I make Biodiesel alot less than before. It takes so much time compaired to SVO that I'll just pay the $2.60/gal sometimes.

·
3,514 Posts
The conversion make SVO look like a hassel, plus the line purging like others have mentioned. I did find one inexpensive bio processor that will make 50 gallons in 24hrs, with only 30mins of hands on time, then it just pumps into your tank.
Link
http://www.homebiodieselkits.com/homeprocessors.html
I don't know the quality of these kits, so maybe some of you could tell me if it looks good or not.

I do have some questions myself though.
How much are you spending on chemicals, and how much per gallon does that average out to?
do you have any trouble collecting the used oil for the BIO or is that easy enough?
Thanks,
Sean

·
I be Architect'n
351 Posts
Biodiesel Costs:
1. $160 for a 55 gal drum of methanol (makes 11 batches)
2. around $55 for a 50 lbs. bag of KOH (number of batches varies per titration, but atleast 20-30 for me)
3. Oil is free
4. Heat is not, varies per processor
5. Water to wash the BioD is not free, but somewhat cheap.
6. My time. Not cheap at all, if I ran the numbers at my per hour billable rate I would probably lose a little bit of money.

Each batch saves me approx. $75 dollars in diesel, but probably costs about $18-$20 to make.

SVO Cost:
1. Oil is free - if you can find enough
2. Conversion system - $600 for my IDI / $2000 for my Excursion
3. Heat not free, but limited amount I believe to be a wash
4. Filters - around $10 a batch is what I budget, but I use much less
5. Time is much less.

Getting oil is not so hard in someplaces. Here in Asheville, as soon as a new restuarant opens people are in there trying to get the oil, so it's a little difficult around here to get large amounts of oil...unless you have the right contacts.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, for all of the info, but how does the stock vp44 hold up to SVO?

·
I be Architect'n
351 Posts

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
Bio runs me about $0.54 per gallon to make not including my time to make it. I don't figure my labor because I am off every other day and would just be sitting on my *** anyway. I guess you could say bio benefits me in that it keeps me from being a couch potato too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the biodiesel is the route i will be going, damn vp44

·
Registered
92 Posts
My buddy has a veg system and the are junk. There is so much stuff involed and it is a very dirty process. His transfer case went out about 6 months ago and we just got it fixed a couple of weeks ago. Well anyways we think from where it was sitting so long all the crap build up and the motor has ran really bad ever since. I wouldn't go with it.

·
69 Posts
I've heard of using used motor oil that has been run through several filters. I have no hard evidence if it works or not. I would think that the dirty oil might wear out the inj. pump even though it's been run through a bunch of filters. The good side would be that it has less tendency to gell up and you could get it easily enough. Maybe another avenue for alternative fuels. Scott

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just gathering up some stuff to start the processor with a buddy of mine, looking for a cheap or used hot water heater right now. Thanks for all of the info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts