The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been browsing the Ebay pages and it seems that there are used tuners available at reasonable prices however I understand that once used to flash the original computer the tuner becomes married to the trucks VIN and cannot be used on another. Can someone fill me in?

·
MAFIA #8
5,567 Posts
That is not true.. if the person removes the tune from the truck and sets hte truck back to stock then it should work an any truck after that.

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
hhrecovery said:
That is not true.. if the person removes the tune from the truck and sets hte truck back to stock then it should work an any truck after that.
Not neccessarily Aaron....my buddies Bully Dog tripple dog programmer doesnt reset itself totally back to stock. It wouldnt let me load it in my '05....:shrug:

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
diesel dan said:
Not neccessarily Aaron....my buddies Bully Dog tripple dog programmer doesnt reset itself totally back to stock. It wouldnt let me load it in my '05....:shrug:
Ahhh....went to Bully Dog's site and you have to download the Ford programs in order to do it. Nevermind.

·
MAFIA #8
5,567 Posts
maybe it just depends cause I had ran my power pup on my 04 and my buddies 05 w/out any problems... no matter what though you should only need an update sometimes

Best thing is to contact the manufacturer to see what they say about it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I work for a Bully Dog Distributor-The Triple Dog works on all newer Ford, Dodge and Chevy with one Down loader (one vehical at a time of course)
The Power Pups are vehical specific (Ford, Dodge and Chevy with different year ranges). I would be careful with buying used, if the former customer hasn't totally returned the vehical to stock the you will get a Downloader with an OE program that will be no good to you. This happens a lot, trust me.

·
342 Posts
Yeah what he said ^^^^^

We get call after call from people who have bought used units only to find that "VIN Mismatch" message. Deal with an authorized dealer, it may cost a couple of extra bucks but at least you will get good product that works.

·
Diesel Pro
2,652 Posts
GOFASORGOBROK said:
I work for a Bully Dog Distributor-The Triple Dog works on all newer Ford, Dodge and Chevy with one Down loader (one vehical at a time of course)
The Power Pups are vehical specific (Ford, Dodge and Chevy with different year ranges). I would be careful with buying used, if the former customer hasn't totally returned the vehical to stock the you will get a Downloader with an OE program that will be no good to you. This happens a lot, trust me.
yeah that would really suck to get something like that, and then not be able to use it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
You wouldnt believe how many calls I get that start with "I bought this ________ off from E-bay and now its not working, can you help me?" The reason you pay a little more from a dealer is for the support!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, looks like pay more and your insured to get what you paid for, however I did win a "New" (let's hope) Diablo Preditor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went to pay for my new Ebay won tuner and received a message from the seller stating that he could not sell it for the amount of the winning bid even though he had no reserve set. Jeeezzz even when I win, I lose.

PS It was NEW in the package.:shrug:

·
79 Posts
that's BS. report him to ebay. he agreed to sell it for whatever price if he didn't put a reserve on it. ebay has rules against not selling an item once it's ended.

·
424 Posts
jd87 is correct, that is a big no no on ebay. he is obligated to sell it to you now, however the predator would not be my choice of tuners.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jd87 said:
that's BS. report him to ebay. he agreed to sell it for whatever price if he didn't put a reserve on it. ebay has rules against not selling an item once it's ended.
0 Feedback rating, looks like his first item that he bought or sold and is no longer a registerd user.

·
447 Posts
Galaxie I fully understand if you are on a tight budget for buying a tuner. I do also recommend that you go with the SCT XCal 2 versus the Diablo predator. I had the Predator tuning my 02 7.3 and it was decent but blew smoke all over the place under normal accel in the 85hp mode and a fair amount of smoke in the 60 ecomony tune. With my SCT in the street tune it barely smokes but the truck gets up and goes VERY nicely. The Diablo is like going to Target to buy a suit compared to a custom taylor shop for a suit.

I guess what I am trying to say is do your homework before you buy a tuner, the SCT might not be what you really want but for most it is the best option for our trucks and what we need it to do or want it to do.

Good luck

·
79 Posts
I had that happen when I tried to buy a headlight for my '05 on ebay, but he took mine and a lot of other people's money and got kicked off. now I'm out $20 because paypal charged me to get some of my money back.

I think that's the same diablo predator programmer I almost bid on recently, but missed it. glad I did now. sorry to hear that. If he ever joins ebay again I hope you can give him his -1 feedback score he deserves. I'm still waiting for my headlight guy to come back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well guys, being that I don't tow much (rare occasion) and I use my F-350 King Ranch mostly as a Construction Project Managers transpo vehicle. I am looking mostly to obtain MPG not really interested in being the "Bad Dog" on the block and win races. I also have concerns being my truck is stock with about 61K on it and definetly do not want to overboost or strain my tranny, and I know what I would do if I went to a programmer that has the capacity to really crank out the ponies,,,too much temptation there.

Other side of the coin I need to look at is the cost to obtain the additional MPG.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts