The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed before, but I just had my first experience with a v nose trailer.

My buddy has a 24' v nose and was complaining about the mileage towing it. I went and towed it and it doesn't get the greatest mileage, but I wasn't expecting that anyhow...what suprised me is that I've pulled enclosed about the same length and weight with a flat nose and actually got better mileage. I was under the impression the v nose was supposed to get better mileage.

Also I couldn't help but notice it seemed like the v nose was kind of unstable when getting up to 70+MPH. I pulled it up to around 80MPH just to see how she'd handle and the trailer started walking all over the road...I don't know if it's because of the v, but I felt like it was.

After pulling that trailer I'm not convinced that it saves fuel at all and I don't believe it's as stable as a flat nose...

Opinions?

F

·
0 Posts
Same manufacturer, came axles, came length, same axle placement, only difference V and flat nose. IMO that's the only real way to compare the 2. I would guess that V-nose get better mileage, but never pulled one.

·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fordt said:
Same manufacturer, came axles, came length, same axle placement, only difference V and flat nose. IMO that's the only real way to compare the 2. I would guess that V-nose get better mileage, but never pulled one.
I was basing it on pulling a trailer we had a few years ago that was built custom. It was flat nose and much heavier than this v nose trailer my buddy has. I would imagine it being much heavier would have made the difference in the MPG, but the v nose got worse.

I would like to get a hold of two identical trailers with the only difference being the v and see which one actually does better...I don't think there would be much of a difference at all if any. I think the flat nose would tow better though after seeing how much that v wanted to walk all over the place.

·
3,754 Posts
V nose should get a bit better. could be lots of factors, axles slightly out of alighment, not loaded (weight wise right), brakes draggin, wheel bearing going out /too tight etc etc etc etc.

·
130 Posts
I've been told that in gusty winds, especially crosswinds, V-nose's are worse. They force air around the front of the trailer in a direct crosswind, and give a weird dynamic to the natural flow of the air around the trailer in a cornering crosswind. But I've never pulled two back-to-back in the same conditions, so it's still all theoretical.

·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the day I towed it there was a very good crosswind. I was amazed at how easily the trailer got swaying around. A 24' trailer should not sway constantly.

Also when I was riding in a wooded area I was getting pretty good mileage. Once we got on open roads with open fields where the wind was blowing through the mileage went WAY down. Don't know if it's because of turbulent wind, but I think it's completely possible.

·
General Contractor
518 Posts
It sounds to me like there is not enough tounge weight on the trailer.

I have a 24' V-nose that I have put over 40k miles on and it pulls better than any other trailer I have pulled. The 24' is a very heavy trailer and will not get good mileage no matter how you pull it. Also the types of axels, and tires on the trailer will contribute to sway. One trailer dealer tried to sell me a 24' with twin 3500 axels on it. the trailer weighed 6k empty and trailer pulled like a turd. On a 24' trailer I would go with no less than twin 7k axels.

·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My buddies trailer is 24' + the v-nose, which is a 4' V I think. It's about 28' long. He has the double 7k axles on his.

We pulled it unloaded and loaded. We pulled it first empty and then went to Home Depot and picked up probably around 1k of wood and loaded some furniture in there. Didn't seem to change how the truck pulled it...truck didn't seem to notice the difference in weight that much. Still got about the same mileage running loaded vs. unloaded. I think in my truck I was averaging about 12mpg or so at around 70MPH.

I got him some new tunes for his truck now and we're going to try it again this weekend running a street tune and a tow aggressive tune to see if he can get better.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
under most conditions a V nose trailer will allow better milage than a flat nose as it will alow air to deflect better. they do however tend to get blown around a little more in gusty winds as the angles on the nose push the trailer sideways rather than backwards like a flat nose trailer does.

·
1,836 Posts
I see 2 kinds of v nose, one about 1/2 the tounge and the other that goes to the coupler.
The type that goes to the coupler has a few drawbacks - most have bumper dents, tha slope is perfect for translating a quartering headwind into a definet side thrust and the road speed is added to the wind.

I like the short v 40 in from the coupler to sheet metal so it does not get bit and an angle that gives much less side thrust for a quartering headwind.

keydl

·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The trailer he has the v goes almost to the tongue. There's only a couple inches on the tow bars before you get to the v. I know his was all over the place when I towed it on a windy day...kinda scary honestly

1 - 11 of 11 Posts