The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy going on a long trip that wants to run the overhead on his 04 5.9 before he leaves. He asked me to post up and ask if the lash setting should remain factory spec if he has a chip, intake and exhaust. I told him I did not see how that should affect anything but figured I would ask anyway. Thanks JJ

·
WANNA SMOKE!!!
169 Posts
Depends on what kinda chip he has. When i had my Bullydog, it would read 1.5-2.5 MPG off. Now i only have the Mp-8 and its pretty accurate. Most is maybe a half MPG off. Wait....i dunno if were talkin about the same thing

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I don't think it makes a difference. I'd set them at factory specs

·
Registered
964 Posts
ONly if he's got over 60k miles otherwise wasting your time! Just doesn't need it probably can wait till 100k.

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I figured it would be factory specs but wanted to make sure. Do not know when they recommend doing the adjustments but he is always doing something to it and just wants to to it even if it is not needed. Thanks again. JJ

·
24 Posts
Intake is .010

Exhaust is .020

These are the middle of the road numbers, I just did my 06 and all were out, 29k on the clock.

Tim

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hvytrkmech said:
Intake is .010

Exhaust is .020

These are the middle of the road numbers, I just did my 06 and all were out, 29k on the clock.

Tim
Exhaust is .026 this change started in 06, I was told that the new spec was made to compensate for hotter runing egt's and different valve materials in the newer Rams.

FWIW I adjusted my valves at just under 4k and they were barely within tolerance, I set them to spec and the truck ran quieter and had better spool up too, it's worth the effort to adjust them if you have the time and ability.

·
24 Posts
RankRam said:
Exhaust is .026 this change started in 06, I was told that the new spec was made to compensate for hotter runing egt's and different valve materials in the newer Rams.

FWIW I adjusted my valves at just under 4k and they were barely within tolerance, I set them to spec and the truck ran quieter and had better spool up too, it's worth the effort to adjust them if you have the time and ability.
Thanks for the update, appreciate it.

Tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts