The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
97F-3504X4PSD
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:usflag Anyone burning vegitable oil? Highway diesel is $3.02 per gallon here. A local guy in an 96 F-350 is running used veggi oil and says it is costing him around $0.20 per gallon(gets it from restaurants). Filters it prior to putting it into his holding tank. Preheats it to 180 degrees(through his radiator) and filters it prior to running it through his engine. Says it quietened his engine and has not hurt his MPG. What are you guys(yous guys in the northeast) thoughts? :thanks:

·
1,386 Posts
There are 2 people that I know of. gruss (Russ) and doublesdiesel (Nick) They are both members of this site. Shoot them a pm. They can help you out.

·
rock removal technition
589 Posts
burnin it in my 96, 65% unheated start up and shut down on diesel.
no mods done to truck to run it. been runnin it for 2 yrs.
my idis have run it, along with the psd, and even the 02 cummins (only 20%)

·
97F-3504X4PSD
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. What kit are you using?

·
Found On Russ' Drive
693 Posts
kit? who needs a kit? Filter down to 10 micron,settle to remove any water(or heat it to remove water) blend with diesel to your preferances(I like to run 50/50) Use front tank to blend, keep rear tank straight diesel fuel. Start up and shut down on diesel,(switch tanks a few miles before shutting down for any long periods of time ie over night). Enjoy. Russ

·
2,106 Posts
Andy King said:
:usflag Anyone burning vegitable oil? Highway diesel is $3.02 per gallon here. A local guy in an 96 F-350 is running used veggi oil and says it is costing him around $0.20 per gallon(gets it from restaurants). Filters it prior to putting it into his holding tank. Preheats it to 180 degrees(through his radiator) and filters it prior to running it through his engine. Says it quietened his engine and has not hurt his MPG. What are you guys(yous guys in the northeast) thoughts? :thanks:

$3.28 to $3.59 Here.... I would love to get it at your price, ship me a few thousand gallons... Rarely under $3.00 here in the past year or more.

·
420 Posts
wow that sucks that it is that high. it just went up to 3.05 in IL . it was 2.89 for most of spring and all summer. but all you have to do is blend some veggy oil with diesel and then just switch back to diesel before startup and shut down. no filters or anything?

·
rock removal technition
589 Posts
Gruss said:
kit? who needs a kit? Filter down to 10 micron,settle to remove any water(or heat it to remove water) blend with diesel to your preferances(I like to run 50/50) Use front tank to blend, keep rear tank straight diesel fuel. Start up and shut down on diesel,(switch tanks a few miles before shutting down for any long periods of time ie over night). Enjoy. Russ
What he said.
:iagree

·
JD
94 Posts
double-s-diesel said:
What he said.
:iagree
double s what do you do in winter, does the 50/50 blend work or just run diesel? Do you have to preheat the pure veg to make it work.And did you give up any milage on your blend?

·
rock removal technition
589 Posts
winter I usually only run diesel. mainly because I only go short trips.
last year I went to WI and ran a 50/50 mix the whole way there and back.
truck only was turned off for 1 night, every time it hit 1/2 tank I filled it up to keep the heat in the tank.
same mileage and power on 65%, as 100% diesel.

·
270 Posts
I only run WVO in the summertime due to the temps. I get about 30 to 40 gallons of oil after our local fair at the end of August, let it settle till Spring, heat, filter, and it goes in the truck. I quit burning it early October. I don't drive far so it stays in the tank a while. Once I burn the tank out in Oct I just run #2 for the Winter. Otherwise I mix it in with the #2 from 30% to 50%.

#2 is $3.20 here...

·
97F-3504X4PSD
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:usflag . I should have been more specific. I am in the south(25 degrees 2 or 3 times is a brutal winter). Is anyone running 100% SVO by heating it with radiator fluid?:thanks:

·
168 Posts
hi, andy i,m tommy from high point, nc. not sure where burgaw is located, i've run straight svo in my truck, as well as 50/50 blend, but it scares me. l've heard a lot of bad press on running it not heated, filtered, or run through a salt bath. i'm told that the heavy viscosity can fry your injector pump, and also coke up your injectors. i'm certainly no expert, and if anyone wants to chime in you are welcome to. i make bio-diesel for my truck from waste veggie, and have had great success, as well as saved alot of money. my advice is to research more and be careful, iunderstand a pump and injectors are rather expensive.
tommy

·
97F-3504X4PSD
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, I am about 25 minutes west of Wilmington. I-40 Exit 398.

·
Registered
49 Posts
veggi oil filtering?

what is a better filter... 2 micron or 50 micron.. what would filter out the most particals the higher number or the lower number of microns

anyone convert there 6.0 yet?

·
Found On Russ' Drive
693 Posts
2 is smaller than 50. I filter to 10 micron. That's all the smaller the factory filter is. 2 micron is going to take a long time to filter thru.

·
Registered
49 Posts
microns

yes ok so smaller micron is better filtering correct....

i have an old mercedes that i run veggi oil in filtered out to 10 microns and cloggs the filter every 2 months so i want to filter it out better

heres a trick.... heat the oil up in a big pot using propane and the filter it... goes right through.. i have filled up a 55 gal plastic drum with in 30 mins and dont use the oil as soon as u pick it up from the resturant let it sit still for about a week or to so everything settles at the bottom

·
Registered
29 Posts
sorry to butt in, but are you guys just mixing the vegi oil right in you normal fuel tank after you have filtered it? I live in wisconsin so it gets pretty cold up here, but summer is almost here. What kind of filtering devices are you using and what % of a mix is safe?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts