The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 02 dodge dually 4wd excab bone stock i think ho motor it has a intercooler auto trans 103000 miles on it pulling a gooseneck trailer all the time just weighed it fully loaded 30900 lbs what do you guys think besides new tranny

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
well if you have an auto then you have a SO (Standard Output) not a HO (High Output)...So's were Autos and 5 speeds, and Ho's were 6 speeds. After your tranny, with hauling as much as you do I would strongly consider some gauges. That way you can keep an eye on temps and pressures...Typically Fuel Pressure, Pyro, and Boost, but with all your hauling a Tranny Temp would help. Also get some kind of different Lift Pump so you dont starve your Injection Pump. FASS makes a good pump and so does Pure Flow Tech. If you are thinking about a chip for more power I would recemend an Edge Juice with Attitude. It has 5 (or 6 if HOTT code is unlocked) levels adjustable on the fly, and has all the gauges you need built right in! You will also have the HY turbo which is small and doesnt cool as well...to get your EGTs down you might want to upgrade that and also get a good exhaust to keep the temps down...

Nate :wave

·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx for the input but dosnt the juice add alot of timing i was thinking of ways to keep heat down and i always heard timing made diesels run hotter also forgot the truck has a 4inch bully dog exhaust my bad

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
The timing is not really bad at all...not enough to worry about it...but I think it is deffinitly the best thing you can buy for all you get...

Nate :wave

·
Ghost
628 Posts
Don't worry about modding the engine yet. It's a ISB Cummins. These things don't have great reputations for no reason. Get your transmission bullet proof with a low stall torque converter. Then see if you really want to add power. After you put a really good transmission in, you'll swear your power got kicked up several notches.

I never think it's a good idea to talk about engine mods until the transmission is taken care of.

If it was my truck and I built the transmission up and had to haul that much weight, I would look at mods like ED Mileage Max, RV275's, BHAF(air filter), and sythetics. Those could net you almost 100hp and increase your fuel mileage at least 2MPG.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Like everyone else is saying get that tranny dealt with first thing...

Then deal with the weak spots on the engine like fuel system.... (fuel pressure gauge, better lift pump, and larger fuel lines).

Then you can start adding a bit of extra fuel to it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm going to agree with the tranny upgrade, consider a air new intake, the edge box or something similar will help, but don't for get your going to have to slow that truck down, with that kind of load you should look at an exhaust brake to save you brake wear and brake fade, Also gauges are a must, pyro, trans temp, boost ect.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
I'm going to agree with the tranny upgrade, consider a air new intake, the edge box or something similar will help, but don't for get your going to have to slow that truck down, with that kind of load you should look at an exhaust brake to save you brake wear and brake fade, Also gauges are a must, pyro, trans temp, boost ect.
He's got a point... I forgot about the weight factor... And a exhaust brake is a very worth while investment for your truck! :thumbsup

·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
been on job for a couple of days with the heavy *** pickup realized what i figured would happen smoked the tranny trying to go up a hill wasnt even gunning on it hard just doing 55 got my gauge pack but they sent the wrong a pillar its for a 3rd gen now investigating tranny possibilities

·
3,514 Posts
Look at Goerend transmissions. If I did it all again I would go that route. Not that I don't like my DTT, but he is cheaper with a better warranty and I've never heard a bad word about what he builds.
Sean

·
1,189 Posts
Look at Goerend transmissions. If I did it all again I would go that route. Not that I don't like my DTT, but he is cheaper with a better warranty and I've never heard a bad word about what he builds.
Sean
I agree a whole package trans and converter is the only way to go.. I pieced mine together and spent more having issues with things.

·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i dosent really matter now they are going to take the trailer of and put it behind an 01 powerstroke which is company owned and they can fit the bill for getting it fixed they have already put a flatbed on it and are currently doing frontend work to it and office said run the current tranny till it takes a **** they are taking about putting a banks powerpack on it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts