The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so like 2 days ago my truck started acting up when i would start it, i dont know much about this kind of stuff but when i would go to start it, it would just sound like its not getting enough power from the battery's. so i showed my friend tonight and when do you know it starts up about %85 normal so he checks the voltage and when its running i am getting 14.9V with the truck off but in the on position it would start off at 13.8ish and eventually even out at 13.0V does this sound like it could be my battery's or my alternator's or maybe the Starter? i have a 2004 f250 2wd crewcab 6.0L diesel

·
775 Posts
Its probably your batts. Cold weather really puts a strain on them and if 1 or both batts are going bad it will make it hard to start. Take it to a shop and have batts load tested. Or pull them and have checked at a parts shop. If you need batts don't get cheep! Deisels are hard on batts.

·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
today when i went out to start it after sitting all night the voltage was 10.8 with the car off, does that mean anything to anyone?

·
Registered
252 Posts
i have a volt gauge hooked up on mine. Mine is always around 10 to 12, then it fires up and after running about a minutes the alternator kicks on and it jumps to 14.

·
3,051 Posts
EJ Krueger said:
today when i went out to start it after sitting all night the voltage was 10.8 with the car off, does that mean anything to anyone?
Either your batteries won't hold a charge because there worn/old, or you have a parasitic battery draw(means something is causing your batteries to drain, such as an interior light not shutting off, computer not shutting down all the way etc.). As for your other question about charging voltage, most vehicles run between 13.4 to 14.2 volts when running. As heavyhaller already said, have your batteries tested first, and replace them if needed in a pair.

·
422 Posts
I just replaced both of my batteries with the Kirkland brand from Costco. They are 850 CCA. They have a 100 month warranty with the first 3 yrs being 100% replacement. The truck fires quicker than it ever has.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts