The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
trucker trash
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 95 in sig has developed a vibration between 1400-1700 under load. It isn't a shaking vibration but you can really feel it in steering wheel and on floor boards. Checked all u-joints and yokes and had one that was a little loose so I replaced it but no effect. It also seems to miss a little under load but idles fine. This started Sat morning and that morning truck had a erradic idle but since is fine. Could an injector cause a vibration?

·
4,827 Posts
An injector could cause a vibration, but I would change the fuel filter(s) first. That can cause it too.

Could be a bad wire connection, too. Have seen where you can shake the harness by hand, and make the engine start to miss and buck. The injectors are computer controlled.

Could also have the ECM hooked to a computer and have the shop do a balance test and cut-out on the injectors.

With that many miles, has the vibration dampener even been replaced?

Does it shake sitting still if you rev it up? If not so much, you might need to have a driveshaft rebalanced (a welded on weight fly off?) or the same goes for a tire.

Are all of the slip yokes tight? Grease them up good, and see if it goes away for a day or so. We have one truck that has a shake. If the one particular slip yoke is full of grease, no shake. If it needs grease, it shakes.

I have seen some driveshafts with a plastic coating on the splines. When it starts coming off, that makes the slip joint loose.

·
trucker trash
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll check my slip yokes. The engine is a Detroit reman crate engine with about 300k on it so I would assume it has a new damper on it.

·
4,827 Posts
I would ask on the dampener. I wouldn't guarantee it was replaced. Not everything gets replaced on a reman.

·
trucker trash
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I've found the problem. Pulled plugs out of the rears and found some nice slivers on the power divider plug. They were enough that when you rubbed them between your fingers you would get poked.

·
trucker trash
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like I avoided a big repair. Drained all 3 boxes to look for carnage and only found small amt of gear wear in power divider and nothing in rear axle or trans. Had a leaking yoke seal on rear axle and replaced it. Yoke didn't feel loose at all but suddenly vibration is gone so maybe it was loose enough to vibrate. Heck my old COE in sig had a tranny yoke so loose you could tell by looking at it and it didn't vibrate. Wierd how diiferent truck react to the same problems. BTW I was checking prices and MHC KW in Joplin quoted me $1800 for a NEW eaton 3rd member versus about 1700 for reman(FRTLNR wanted $2400 for a reman). I wonder why anyone would bother with a reman when you can get factory new for for a little more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts