The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find my vin or a way to get my VIN. It is a 76 peterbilt, made 9-23-76 and I found a number on the crossmember that supports the rear of the cab and it is 01 36984M000 but I was told thats the Chassis ID number. Its not in the door jamb and I can absolutely not find it and cannot register it because of this. Where else do I look? Any help is appreciated.

·
990 Posts
I need to find my vin or a way to get my VIN. It is a 76 peterbilt, made 9-23-76 and I found a number on the crossmember that supports the rear of the cab and it is 01 36984M000 but I was told thats the Chassis ID number. Its not in the door jamb and I can absolutely not find it and cannot register it because of this. Where else do I look? Any help is appreciated.
VIN No. is on passenger side frame rail (outside) just ahead of the fuel tank or in behind it slightly. It is a six digit number and someimes a stamped letter "S" nearby for 'severe service' denoting a heavier frame. Numbers are about 1/2 inch tall.
:)

·
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is nothing at said locatio I looked everywheren only place I can't look is behind the mount that comes off anf holds the cab and the motor mount with about 6 big bolts what do I do now

·
990 Posts
There is nothing at said locatio I looked everywheren only place I can't look is behind the mount that comes off anf holds the cab and the motor mount with about 6 big bolts what do I do now
VIN number has got to be on the frame rail. Perhaps smaller than I have described it. Maybe behind the fuel tank...mine is not easy to see. Get a flash light and go over both frame rails with a careful eye. Any sign that a number was obliterated or removed? Did you buy it as scrap? Otherwise it must have had a title of some sort, right? Look on drivers side door jam up near the hinge and windshield or on the outside of the cab behind the driver's seat.

Consult an old registration, Insurance policy or title if you have one.

Call Peterbilt and ask them (1) where to look and (2) the name of the expert at the company's archives who knows all this stuff.

·
2,824 Posts
It maybe inside the frame rail on passenger side just forward of the steering axle.

Is yours missing off of the firewall inside the cab.

·
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought it running. I have the title and it has a six digit vin on it. I have searched the frame up and down 5 times. I have searched the cab. Tempted to stamp the numbers in myself and call a different inspector

·
990 Posts
I bought it running. I have the title and it has a six digit vin on it. I have searched the frame up and down 5 times. I have searched the cab. Tempted to stamp the numbers in myself and call a different inspector

Before doing that I'd call a neighboring county's DMV and anomymously inquire of the time, trouble, requirements and expense of doing it legally. There is a way.

Caught by whoever checks and confirms VIN at time of registration could vaatly complicate your task.

:rock

·
Registered
489 Posts
:damnitsome old pets, had the vin # Behind to column steering front wall cab (copper plate 4 rivets)above clutch and brake pedal :shrugs

·
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally found it, on the frame rail right behind the cab, covered in paint barely caught it while buffing off old paint for new paint. Thanks for the help.

·
990 Posts
Finally found it, on the frame rail right behind the cab, covered in paint barely caught it while buffing off old paint for new paint. Thanks for the help.
For future reference....it was on the passenger side frame rail on the outside, wasn't it? right? Numbers about 1/2 inch high?

Roger :poke:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts