The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #85
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start off we decided to completely change the the way the pipe matted to the intercooler. We choose to shorten the overall length of the pipe which reduced the bends and eliminated the hot spots in the pipe. We choose to mount it higher because there was a larger natural opening in the core support which we could trim eliminating the need to crimp the pipe in any location to avoid touching. The only pieces that are from the factory pipe are the 2 ends because they are ribbed to fit the boots and there is no way we can duplicated it. the rest of the pipe is 3" aluminized steel that we painted silver for the time being to resist rust. The plan is to send this pipe to the mandrel bender for duplication to produce a uniform unwelded pipe in either aluminized or stainless steel. Depending if the price is resonable we will offer these pipes in either the mandrel bent form or we will custom fab every pipe whatever price is more reasonable in the end.

The results are an there has been no scientific testing done just @ss dyno and egt gauge readings. From the initial drive out of the driveway I noticed that the power came on way smoother no more touchy pedal that I associated with the sct tune. As I eased down on the throttle to 3/4 throttle I certainly feels like the truck pulls way harder then before and that any little air turbulence is gone. The overall driving experience is better than before its a definitely noticeable difference. The EGT drop is about 30-35 degrees when loaded. I tested the egts by going up a long high gradual incline @ 65mph with the converter looked in fifth. The outside temp was 45degrees with stock pipe and 60degrees with modded pipe and we saw a 30-35degree drop on a warmer day. I will post up an mpg that I might have picked up as I drive it more.

So here are the pics tell me whatcha think :thumbsup

·
Training Wheels King
1,301 Posts
Count me in! Looks great.. much better than stock. I really can't believe ford put that junk pipe on there. rediculous really...

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
If it all works out, Ill buy one. Looks really nice. :thumbsup

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #85
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Loooks good.:thumbsup How much trimming is involved?
no much less than 1/4" of an inch off the upper part of the core support and the core cuts really easy with a little grinder. the reason we chose to raise where the pipe comes through the core is because there alot of available room up there that's going to waste.

·
2,183 Posts
isn't that the cold side?

·
2,183 Posts
thanks for clearin that up for me :thumbsup

·
Registered
639 Posts
Looks good...thats actually the cold side though...thats the OUT from the intercooler and goes into the elbow. The otherside....the one going IN to the cooler on the bottom is the hotside/charge side.

·
780 Posts
i guess you don't have any pics of the inter cooler before you cut it and after you cut before you put the pipe on?

·
SeaPig
241 Posts
Great Pics as always Nick. Count me in on one also.
HEY!!! I have been off the forum for a bit. Have you been "working out"?:nunu:
~Mike~

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
no much less than 1/4" of an inch off the upper part of the core support and the core cuts really easy with a little grinder. the reason we chose to raise where the pipe comes through the core is because there alot of available room up there that's going to waste.
That is the same thing I am in the process of doing with my twins... :haha

·
Ultra Member
652 Posts
Read his signature.

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
:eek: True twins on a 6.4? that sounds awesome. That truck should put up some huge power.

·
Ford 6.4 it's just cooler
673 Posts

·
Ford 6.4 it's just cooler
673 Posts
and josh, when are we gonna get some pricing info on your turbos...head studs cost the same as the 6.0?

·
R.I.P. DAD
3,800 Posts

·
248 Posts
Looks great Nick. I wish I ran mine higher like yours because I had a little trouble clearing my radiator.

On a good note I noticed a huge difference in power while driving out to Elite this weekend:poke

1 - 20 of 134 Posts