The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #85
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a downpipe from ford to use as the base then we are going to cut it up replace the bent pieces and slightly redesign it which will improve airflow and move it away from the frame which will eliminate the need for the big dent. We will remove all the inside 3.5" pipe and take any kinda baffles out of it and replace it with 4" pipe. We are going to leave both ends of the pipe the same to make sure there is no fitment issue when we go to reinstall it. pretty simple and straight forward :haha :happymugs

·
Truck Toyz
653 Posts
put me on the list along with the intercooler tube

·
BLING BLING
636 Posts
Im in for one. Hows the intercooler tube going? I would like to pick one of those up ASAP. Ryan

·
R.I.P. DAD
3,800 Posts
What would that cost? I'd be down for one of those.

·
2,126 Posts
I beleive this is a cab off job no?

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
Very nice, if its not too hard to do id be wantin one.

·
2,126 Posts
Yea I think thats going to be the trick. I don't think this is going to be easy at all.

Smokin Joe said his truck sounds REALLY mean with a 4" downpipe.

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
well his truck is really mean. and its only getting meaner thanks to elite.

·
Ultra Member
652 Posts
If this can be done without taking the cab off, put me down for one, as well as the intercooler pipe.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
i really dont see where this is gonna help you other than sound , when the v-band flange and tapered coupler are necked down like crazy.

unless your gonna loose that necked down tapered flange at the bottom , thats what i would do cause that would be where most of your restriction would be , if not i think you would be just pissin in the wind

·
R.I.P. DAD
3,800 Posts
i really dont see where this is gonna help you other than sound , when the v-band flange and tapered coupler are necked down like crazy.

unless your gonna loose that necked down tapered flange at the bottom , thats what i would do cause that would be where most of your restriction would be , if not i think you would be just pissin in the wind
Being that its a 4" Im sure it would remain 4" through out (start to finish) the stock pipe is 3.5" so there should be a noticable diff. Being is only 1/2" bigger I would think you should be able to work it in there, lifted trucks would be easier I would assume.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Being that its a 4" Im sure it would remain 4" through out (start to finish) the stock pipe is 3.5" so there should be a noticable diff. Being is only 1/2" bigger I would think you should be able to work it in there, lifted trucks would be easier I would assume.
ahh i see , heck yeah it would work runnin the 4" all the way and should sound great , i never understood WTF the factory puts necked down parts on the exhaust and ic and other parts on a engine that would rob hp , apprently there aint no hot rod gear heads like us at ford cause we wouldnt let that chit happen,

if i was desiging any diesel truck it would come factory with 4" exhaust :thumbsup

·
R.I.P. DAD
3,800 Posts
ahh i see , heck yeah it would work runnin the 4" all the way and should sound great , i never understood WTF the factory puts necked down parts on the exhaust and ic and other parts on a engine that would rob hp , apprently there aint no hot rod gear heads like us at ford cause we wouldnt let that chit happen,

if i was desiging any diesel truck it would come factory with 4" exhaust :thumbsup
Well you have to figure even with power restriction designed parts its still rated at 350 HP and 650 TRQ, if it had a true 4" exhaust and 3" intercooler tubes and large mouth intake elbow and itercooler passages it would be rated closer to the 400 HP and 700 TRQ that there new (non navistar built) 6.7L diesel. And well that would ruin there new engines selling points if it made the same power as the older engine and was loaded down with even more emissions crap (if you never thought there could be more just wait).

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
i cant wait

·
Registered
158 Posts
to replace the downpipe you have to drop the transmission or pull the cab, theres a few with it done already

·
R.I.P. DAD
3,800 Posts
to replace the downpipe you have to drop the transmission or pull the cab, theres a few with it done already
Nah you just need a bigger hammer :haha

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #85
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We shall soon see I hope we can get it out without removing the tranny but if so my friend JoJo who's doing the work owns a tranny shop so no real problem, but that would limit others in pursuing this mod hell even I would be up a creek if i didn't have JoJo doing my work. I will keep everyone posted I'm still waiting on my 4" mandrel bends to come in plus JoJo has been swamped at work.

·
370 Posts
Why not make the new downpipe two pieces so that you can install it without removing the transmission or lifting the cab.

·
Truck Toyz
653 Posts
Why not make the new downpipe two pieces so that you can install it without removing the transmission or lifting the cab.
I was about to say the same thing.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts