The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having trouble starting some times. it will crank and crank but not start. some times it will start up quick and some times it will just turn over. fuel pressure is 26psi at the VP 44. it did this when i first got the truck 2 months ago and it was stock. stock lft pump look new and it is working. also have pusher and it's working. no codes. no white smoke. it will also brup when idling some times. other then that it run great! any help would great.

·
3,514 Posts
mine was having trouble cranking when hot, just after I put the FASS in. That turned out to be the fuel pressure metering diaphram in my VP, I fixed this by putting in an oil pressure switch to turn on my FASS. The Burping at idle thing, I also experienced, but that was caused by my BD- R.A.D.(wire connector). But other than that, I don't know what to tell you. you may want to try an oil pressure switch on your pusher pump, because that is a lot of fuel pressure you are running, and possibly over powering your metering diaphram.
Good luck.
Sean

B

·
0 Posts
BigDodge said:
having trouble starting some times. it will crank and crank but not start. some times it will start up quick and some times it will just turn over. fuel pressure is 26psi at the VP 44. it did this when i first got the truck 2 months ago and it was stock. stock lft pump look new and it is working. also have pusher and it's working. no codes. no white smoke. it will also brup when idling some times. other then that it run great! any help would great.
You are either losing prime and have an air leak somewhere, which would be the best, although probably the hardest to locate. Or, your injection pump is slowly going bad. Hard starts is a tell tale sign for 44 going out.

·
393 Posts
I thought you were only supposed to run 14 psi on vp44 trucks. I don't know if that would cause a problem?

B

·
0 Posts
97crewcab said:
I thought you were only supposed to run 14 psi on vp44 trucks. I don't know if that would cause a problem?
I read right over that, I am thinking you shouldn't be having anymore than 20psi max. I know of several that run all day long between 15-17psi.

·
191 Posts
I had the same problem with it not wanting to start. Come to find out the fitting for the return line on the pump had loosen up enough to get some air. Might check the return line on the back of the head too. Just and idea.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Bouncer said:
You are either losing prime and have an air leak somewhere, which would be the best, although probably the hardest to locate. Or, your injection pump is slowly going bad. Hard starts is a tell tale sign for 44 going out.

I would agree you probably are losing prime.

So hard starts means your VP44 maybe going out? Uhmm maybe I might still be in the clear then!

·
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no time to take a chance on it. i will be putting a new vp-44 on tuesday. i checked all the lines, no leaks. the pump has 192,342miles on it know i think it may be time. let ya'll know tomorrow.

·
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just got it done and hook my pusher pump to pressure switch so it won't come on until there is 20psi of oil pressure. it starts up on the first bump hot or cold know. thanks for the help guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts