The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I get ready to leave work Friday morning and when I start the truck it is acting like there is a miss. I pop the hood and the exhaust manifold is building heat on cyls. 2-6 but #1 stays cold. I shut the truck off and restart. The same thing is going on. I turn it off again and on the third start everything is fine. The truck drives great all the way home. Now every time I start the truck it has the miss. If I turn the key on and wait for my fuel pressure to drop to almost 0 before starting the truck the problem doesn't seem to be there. At least it is a lot less noticible. It might surge for a couple of seconds then smooths out. The truck drives fine once I get it to start without the miss and it doesn't matter if the engine is warm or cold. There are no codes and I have tried starting with the comp off and on. I have also checked for air leaks and couldn't find any.

I think it is the VP but I have never heard of it acting like this. Anyone hear of something similar?

·
3,514 Posts
the only similar thing I've heard is with injectors missing on the 3rd gens. but thats a totally different set up. Have you tried cracking the line to the number 1 transfer tube, to see if you get fuel there. If you do, have fuel there, then I would say injector, however with an injector one would think that it would happen all the time. Thats deffinitely a new one to me, hope you get this sorted out without it costing too much.
Sean

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't tried cracking a line yet. I agree with you. I would think it would happen all the time if the injector was bad. I'm afraid I see a pump in my future. I am hoping someone comes up with the simple fix before I shell out the money for a pump.

B

·
0 Posts
I agree with cracking the line and see if you have fuel. That will help emlinate about 50% of it. If there is fuel there you are going to have to figure out if it truly a bad injector or the pump not building enough pressure on that line to pop the injector off. It would not be hard to swap 2 injectors around if you do have fuel on #1 line to see if it's the injector or the pump.

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like I got a little work to do tomorrow. Thanks guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts