The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:sly: Will a pump off of a 99 5 spd work on my 98.5 auto. And how do you tell if your lift pump is coming on or not..

Thanx in advance........

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Vp44

Yes those two pumps will interchange. Both models are the lower output setup. As far as lift pump goes, you can check the pressure, key on pump won't cycle you need to bump the ignition to get pump to activate. Test voltage at pump while bumping ignition, only bad part about testing voltage you don't know if you have proper pressure. If you are swapping VP's now is the time to install either the FASS or a Glacier. I've got both products in stock. If you need any more help just give us a ring. 1-800-620-4467

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts

·
99 cummins
160 Posts
if your injector pump already went, theres a good chance your lift pump caused it. so that is why a fuel pressure gauge is so important. while your at it a pyro wouldnt be a bad idea either if you have no guages at all.

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do you put a fuel pressure gauge in? do i need to put a permanant one in or just check it? If I need to put one in, is ther any instructions?

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
customdeluxe78 said:
if your injector pump already went, theres a good chance your lift pump caused it. so that is why a fuel pressure gauge is so important. while your at it a pyro wouldnt be a bad idea either if you have no guages at all.
It has the original VP on it, and it has 209,000 miles on it, It still functioning good but im gettin P0216 in the trouble code:shrug:

·
53 Posts
That code tends to precede a mechanical failure of the pump. You will need to install a fuel pressure gauge first, as this will tell you how well your lift pump is performing. Then you can replace the lift pump if needed. After that all you have to do is wait on the VP to fail. Oh, yeah. Those pumps are both S.O. pumps and will interchange.

·
45 Posts
For the fuel pressure guage you can either install it on your fuel filter canister or to the inlet side of the injection pump.
I would suggest an electric fuel prssr guage, they are a bit on the expensive side, but you do not have to worry about fuel getting into your cab like you would with a manual gauge. They are easy to install. It depends on what kind of filter canister you have, where you would install the sending unit. I have mine installed on the inlet side of my injection pump. If you have questions on how to install it you can email me on my yahoo address

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
O2CUMMINS said:
For the fuel pressure guage you can either install it on your fuel filter canister or to the inlet side of the injection pump.
I would suggest an electric fuel prssr guage, they are a bit on the expensive side, but you do not have to worry about fuel getting into your cab like you would with a manual gauge. They are easy to install. It depends on what kind of filter canister you have, where you would install the sending unit. I have mine installed on the inlet side of my injection pump. If you have questions on how to install it you can email me on my yahoo address
I've been plumbed into the cab for nearly 5 years. No isolator... Just a needle valve. I had zero leaks or failures concerning the plumbing or the gauge since I installed it. The Nylon tubing is rated for 150 PSI I'm sure it won't blow out with 15 PSI...

Here is my setup (Web Page)
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%20Dodge/BOMBS/dipricol%20gages/dipricol_gages.htm

My gauge was $40 bucks roughly and $20 bucks for plumbing. MUCH cheaper that a electric gauge but just as accurate (1/2 PSI markings)...:sly:​

As for adding a low pressure light... I used the pressure switch out of the Cummins Campaign pump (4090046) and installed in the fuel line as well (shown pic #3).:sly:​

Here is the wiring...​

·
45 Posts
Im sure it wont, but i guess it is just personel preferance. Just putting options out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts