The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are signs your VP44 could be going out?
Every once in a while......................
I hit the throttle, and nothing happens.................
I was wondering if this was one of the signs it's going out, also what else it might be, like TPS?
Someone throw me a bone here
I don't think it'd be a bad idea to make this thread sticky either considering it's the 24v's (Non-CR) only weak spot.

B

·
0 Posts
A good place to begin is by recalibrating the APPS and see if that helps.

A few signs a 44 could be going out are: hard starts when warm, loss of power, stumbling when running, throwing codes, white smoke to name a few.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nope Bcumminsmeck, the dead pedal he described is the most common sign of one going out. Usually after the dead pedal goes on for a while it will just die out or start showing the other signs/codes Bouncer described.

here's a hypo: Lets say your cruising at a constant speed, let off and when you step on it again there's no response for a few seconds? or from a stop, no response for a fe seconds?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I think those are all logical guess's. But I can't help but fear the worst considering I've been running a comp box for a year now.

·
3,514 Posts
you've been running a comp for a year and you don't have a big fuel line kit/ bigger pusher pump right? If thats the case, I wouldn't be surprised if you've starved your vp a couple of times.

Sean

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:damnit

I wonder if the only reason it's still running is because of all the additives and BIOdiesel I've been using?

I know the summer I bought it, it started slighty hard, but now in the dead of winter, without plugging it in, I still don't use the wait to start thing. (Hotbox, Heatgrid, Toastoven, etc.)

I don't know. The Cummins Guardian angel must be on my side.

B

·
0 Posts
Phily 911 said:
but now in the dead of winter, without plugging it in, I still don't use the wait to start thing. (Hotbox, Heatgrid, Toastoven, etc.)
Not trying to be rude, but you really need a gas motor if you are going to treat it like that. Lots of expensive damage can result from not letting the grids kick off before starting the truck.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The grids cycle on and off while your driving the truck with the outside temp below 50 or somewhere in that area.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bouncer said:
Not trying to be rude, but you really need a gas motor if you are going to treat it like that. Lots of expensive damage can result from not letting the grids kick off before starting the truck.

GASOLINE!!!
HELL NO.
I'll ride my bicycle or roller blade before that happens.
:squish

B

·
0 Posts
Yeah, but I am referring to the strain and wear on electrical parts from not having the proper voltage and amperage. If you hop in and turn the key to start it immediately, the grids are on pulling extreme amps from an already cold battery, you then are using the starter to even further drain the battery. All the while the grids nor the starter are getting the amount of energy they need to perform the way they were designed, so you are causing pre-mature wear on them. Also you are putting a drastic load on a cold battery. Then when it starts the battery all the sudden recieves this hot burst of energy trying to refill a severely drained battery. The battery is not warm yet, so all the amps attacking it cause the plates to prematurely wear. I haven't even mentioned how hard you are working the alternator as soon as it starts forcing it to try and replace all this lost energy from the last time the motor ran.

I am not trying to preach to you, just wanting you to understand there is a lot more than jumping in and starting a cold Cummins engine. It could eventually cause you a lot of out of pocket expense all at once. Also in the Cummins manual it says "Do not start while wait to start light is on".

Hope I don't make you mad, this could be a good lesson for a lot of people.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I read ya loud and clear, trust me on this one. But the electronic stuff in Diesel engines, really doesn't scare me.

It's works on the AMP theory. You kill alot of car audio amplifiers because of starving it with power. And it's true. And your logic makes perfect since. But the only real concern here is the Alternater. Which is no big deal for me.
The batterys are Jel Cel, The heater grid is quiet tough. The starter does not get a workout even though the volts might be a little low, it is not on nearly as long as most other diesel starters, because it starts so fast.

I see where your coming from though.

B

·
0 Posts
Phily 911 said:
The heater grid is quiet tough.
I never saw a grid go bad, the relays that run it though, well that's another story.

Glad you got it all covered.:Thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts