The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any benefits to aftermarket vp44's, and would my mods. benefit from it? Thanks

·
90 Posts
Depends how much HP you want to make with the truck. There are basically 3 different types of VP's; HO, SO and Monster/Dragon Flow/Hot Rod, whatever you want to call it.

If you plan to make fairly good HP with your truck, I would check to see if it has an SO pump in it. I haven't heard too much about the Monster Pumps or Dragon Flows as of yet to say they are beneficial or not.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Down side is most HR & HO VP44 and does not accept electronic enhancements as well as the SO pumps...

It all depends on what you planing to do for HP/TQ numbers...

·
3,514 Posts
Those Dragon fires sound pretty sick. I bet with the right turbos and some NO2 you could see 10's with a vp truck with a little bit of time and tuning. It would be awesome together on fuel, or even just low 11's. Keep posted on how yours does with electronics and that single charger. What kind of RPM can you get out of it? I'd love to see one with a redline.
Sean

·
73 Posts
Those Dragon fires sound pretty sick. I bet with the right turbos and some NO2 you could see 10's with a vp truck with a little bit of time and tuning. It would be awesome together on fuel, or even just low 11's. Keep posted on how yours does with electronics and that single charger. What kind of RPM can you get out of it? I'd love to see one with a redline.
Sean
Will do.

So far I have one run in(w/o electronics)a ran a 12.83. I am going to Rockingham, NC next Saturday for a NADM event, it will be tapped then. I am hoping for around 11.6-11.7, but we will see.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
I tapped it today and drove around the block, it does not feel like there is that much difference between off and 5x5:(
Something is wrong... Did you check for +12V at the tap point with the key on?

If you use a stealth plate or injection pump plate you never have to guess at it...

·
73 Posts
Something is wrong... Did you check for +12V at the tap point with the key on?

If you use a stealth plate or injection pump plate you never have to guess at it...

I skinned about a 1/2" section of the wire, took a tiny flat head and made a space in between the pump wire so the comp wire could go through it. Like this.

Then wrapped the wires together and soldered and covered the liquid electrical tape.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
What sub level are you running??? (Edge Comp and Edge Juice)

Main Levels

1. 40 HP
2. 60 HP
3. 80 HP
4. 100 HP
5. 120 HP

Sub levels

DEFUELED modes
1. 33% of stock fuel rate till 20 PSI of boost
2. 50% of stock fuel rate till 15 PSI of boost
3. 67% of stock fuel rate till 10 PSI of boost

POWER modes
4. Some extra fuel is given 0 PSI of boost.
5 Full fuel is given at 0 PSI of boost

·
73 Posts
What sub level are you running??? (Edge Comp and Edge Juice)

Main Levels

1. 40 HP
2. 60 HP
3. 80 HP
4. 100 HP
5. 120 HP

Sub levels

DEFUELED modes
1. 33% of stock fuel rate till 20 PSI of boost
2. 50% of stock fuel rate till 15 PSI of boost
3. 67% of stock fuel rate till 10 PSI of boost

POWER modes
4. Some extra fuel is given 0 PSI of boost.
5 Full fuel is given at 0 PSI of boost
5x5 and 5x4

·
3,514 Posts
Well thats no good. I wonder if its like the hotrod pumps, where they pretty much max out the Fuel solenoid to help achieve the extra flow without electronics? In which case, the main function of your box is gone. I'd get on the Phone with II on monday and see what they say.
Sean

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
I heard that HO pump and HotRod Pump both behave the same in regards to electronics that just don't respond like a good SO pump.

·
3,514 Posts
Yeah, thats true, I've heard that the hotrods are because, the fuel solenoid is already modified so there isn't much gain by running box that taps the wire trying to get more out of it. But I could be wrong about the reasoning behind that.

Also these new dragon fire pumps, are more along the lines of a monster pump, so they are a different beast than the conventional hotrod44. So that may change things a bit.
Sean

1 - 15 of 15 Posts