The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be towing my fifth wheel camper that is about 12000lb I would like to get a tuner, but I am worried about blowing head gaskets and streching head bolts. I do not want to get that far into the motor... I curently have removed the kitty and mufler and ran straight factory exhaust. I was wondering what tunes some of you were doing and if there were any problems.

Thanks

·
vendor supporter
700 Posts
a tow tune from one of the vendors here would work good for you with out worring about gaskets or bolts streching. I would reccomend getting a set of gauges at least a pyro and tranny temp. Jason

·
422 Posts
I just ordered an SCT XCal2 from Innovative Diesel. I am having a tow tune installed that they call Aggressive Tow w/jakebrake. Ted told me it is a solid, reliable tune that will not harm my motor or tranny. I tow a 15k lb 5ver and need the extra power, especially since I have larger tires as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jennamax on that tune that you are going to run, when you say jakebrake are they using the turbo to do that and how would that work. Is it harmfull in any way???

·
422 Posts
Yes,.. it runs off the turbo somehow,...not exactly sure how though. Maybe Ted or Eric will see this thread and chime in.

I am not worried about the motor and tranny. I told Ted I do not want any tune that will in any way decrease the life of my motor or tranny. Ted and Eric know what they are doing,...just take the leap like I did.

·
571 Posts
It works well!! I have that tune and I tow a 12-13k 5er. The Jake feature is really nice on those long grades. I rarely have to use the brakes.
The only problem I have had with that tune is it pukes while towing sometimes. I think i'm going to have to block my egr and/or have ID write a tune with a little less poop and egr shut off. But the jake is awesome.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sonds like i shouldn't have any trouble with streching head bolts or gaskets if I go with a tow tune..

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts