The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Father in laws truck is reading a po243 code. Which is waste gate solenoid malfunction. Took it to a locall shop and they said you cant buy just the solenoid you have to buy the whole turbo. So they said they could sell him a boost fooler and it would make the check engine light go off. Any thought on this?

·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2005. He has juice with attiude so he can watch boost pressure. Hes getting the fooler more to make the light go off because it will drive him nuts. We found the soloneid but its almost $300 or $60 for the fooler and some people are saying it helps drop egts a little. Hes more concerned that if you use the fooler to trick the light to go off is the wastegate going to operate they way its supposed to?

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Doesnt the Juice already boost fool, and if you put a boost fooler inline wont it throw off the Juices boost reading? Not 100% sure but i was thinking i read that somewhere

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Juice Does already boost fool, it would be better to fix it right and know its fixed right than to piss away money for something that wont do anything

·
36 Posts
i run a boost fooler along with my edge and never have had a problem with the boost readings. it jumped my average mpg by 4-5 and seemed to add a lil bit of power also.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
A boost fooler's sole purpose is to fool the ECM into thinking it hasnt reached desired boost, and therefore allows the turbo to create boost levels exceeding that of the set parameter in the ECM

The Edge Juice/attitude already does this, it allows for 40psi+ boost, which is beyond the turbos designed map, and when you create excess boost, your over speeding the turbo, which in turn can hurt that turbo, as well as create power robbing heat

A boost fooler is a waste of money IMHO, you dont want more boost, you want more airflow, and boost is a measurement of restriction, not flow

Fix the problem, dont bandaid it

Reactions: cumminsdiesel

·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats kinda what I was thinking if he did that. With the foot on the floor its around 38 to 40. I was worried that the crappy soloneid might make the waste gate not work the way its supposed to if he doesnt fix it right.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Thats kinda what I was thinking if he did that. With the foot on the floor its around 38 to 40. I was worried that the crappy soloneid might make the waste gate not work the way its supposed to if he doesnt fix it right.
Exactly if the wastegate malfunctions the boost can get out of control and spin too fast which can cause catastrophic failure, the solenoid is $300, have you priced out a new turbo?:kick

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Try posting in the Supporting Vendors section, you can follow the link in my sig. I know we have at least one of our vendors is a Cummins Dealer, and Im sure others can help you out as well.

·
141 Posts
I see it's an '05, now. The FSM calls for replacing the solenoid in several places of the troubleshooting steps for this code. A fooler won't help if the the solenoid or associated wiring/connectors is in fact, bad. Whether or not any programmer or chip "boost fools" is pretty much irrelevant to this issue. They won't stop an overboost de-fuel condition in most cases, unless the wastegate is deactivated in software and that is not what's going on here.

·
Combat Trucker
132 Posts
Think this post is about a year old...to the day actually, lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts