The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i seen it on here and was wondering if it is ok to close the wastgate with a turn buckle

·
3,514 Posts
interesting, I've heard of people welding them shut, but not the turn buckle, however I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Next question, why are you looking to shut your wastegate off, I'm assuming this is a stock charger. A boost elbow will help you tremendously and let you run far higher boost numbers than stock. After about 32psi, hx35's start pushing hot air, and your egt's just climb, and you don't really make that much more power.
What other mods do you have? If you're running any kind of fueling box or injectors, with that wastegate closed off, I think you'll just get too hot. It will spool quicker, but I wouldn't do it personally.
Sean

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
He has an HY35(unless he changed the turbo) so a boost elbow won't work. I have had mine turnbuckled for a long time now and it has worked great. I used a $2 turnbuckle from Lowe's and it hasn't even loosened up on me. There is a turnbuckle out now that has a spring on the hook that acts somewhat like a boost elbow but I don't know anyone who has used it. You do need to have an egt gauge just to be safe. You can see some high temps real quick if you aren't careful.

·
3,514 Posts
ok that makes sense. I didn't look close enough at the sig, and thought he had an Hx35. Yeah, the temps are the only thing I would worry about, because the 35's don't push nearly enough air on top, and temps get crazy hot.
Sean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts