The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does shutting the waste gate off do advantages, and disadv. Also how do you do shut it off.:shrug:

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
You don't have to shut yours off. You can put in a boost elbow. An elbow allows you to increase the amount of boost to the engine but still allows the wastegate to operate at a level below the point where the turbo starts making hot air instead of boost. The hy35 on the autos doesn't have this option so we have to shut them off completely and watch the gauges real close.

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
Here you go.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dude I have the same exact truck as you moose o4 only I have more of the grandpa running boards. What size tire do you have on there.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have 285's but my next set is going to be 305's. someone told me that with the leveling kit that i have i can get 315's under it though.

·
232 Posts
hmm that would have been nice to know before buying my $45 j hook :( at least i got some stickers out of it. :/

·
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Boost elbow

I put the boost elbow on when i bought the Edge box, But i only pull about 31 psi boost. i have heard alot people talking about pulling 40psi and above. How are they getting that much boost. I really just need to spend the money and get the hx52 put on but its gonna cost a good bit.

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
A boost elbow allows the wastegate to actuate at the psi you set it to. Having it open at 31 psi is a good thing because it helps keep temps down. The hx35 has an 11cm housing as opposed to the 9cm housing on the hy35(I think that is the number). That may contribute to the difference also. One of the turbo gurus will have to chime in on that though.

·
3,514 Posts
31psi is a fine number to be operating at I'm running max 35psi with injectors and a drag comp and couldn't be happier. If you start getting above 32psi you just push hot air in and your egt's start going up. The nice thing about the elbow and actuating your wastegate at 31psi-ish is that you will still build more boost after that with your wastegate open but not so much temp. I'd use the 52 as a twin if I were you. That'd be sweet. You already have the gauge so just back out when you start hitting 50-55psi. Just flip your manifold and make your own piping. You could have a really cheap set of twins. They won't be tuned and perfect but that 52 will take forever to get lit without the twins. It'd be a fun project anyways.
Sean

·
Registered
58 Posts
i just took my wastegate hose off and its just danglen

1 - 12 of 12 Posts