The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok need some help an some apinons .my 06 just locked up with water in the intake . It has the banks air intake with scoop. I drove it thou some water crossing a dip in the road an scooped up water an locked it up .I am thinking take out the glow plugs or the injectors an get all the water out. an out of the inter-cooler.the dealer mechanic says it need a motor. thanks Tim.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Get the water out for sure, otherwise rust is going to start forming in a hurry, I wouldn't hold out much hope, you need to get the heads off and see what's going on in the cylinders

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I done it Sunday nite on vacation .it getting towed home Thursday then i can open it up. thanks Tim.

·
1,060 Posts
I would pull the glow plugs and spin the motor by hand a few times, a word of caution tho a guy at work did a similar move and snaped rods and his crank, he was revving it up a bit try'n to float across the water.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
If it turns over by itself, I would pull the glow plugs and crank it over by hand. Your going to have to take the intercooler out to completely dry it out. Then change the oil and see if it fires. You dont need to take the injectors out unless the fuel tank got flooded. Good luck.

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Up date. turns out to be the hot wire on the starter be tween the starter an solenoid burned in to from trying start it .it had half a gallon of water in the air cooler an in all the cylinders turns over good with a wrench.an water in the in take an turbo.when i get the starter back from the re builder an see if she will crank thanks tim.

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK she is purring like kitten. all the water out now. an victory Chevrolet in kitty hawk NC sead it neaded a motor!.what a ripof thanks for the help tim.

·
1,060 Posts
Just to be on the safe side I would also change my oil now that she is up and running, if there is any water in the oil your bearings are hating life right now, and wearing quickly

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
all ready done. thy were water in the oil it had all drained to the bottom .changed the fuel filter to.left the air scoop of thou ! don't want to go thou this again.

·
1,060 Posts
Very Good to hear, I was kicking myself for not saying it earlier. I know better. I used to save the brand new jet ski's that pepole would sink when I worked at the dealer.

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
I think id change the oil a few times just to make sure all the moisture was out of it. Good you got it running. Hopefully no rust made pits on anything that was important...like cylinder walls.:gaah

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think so i got oil in the cylinders as soon as the glow plugs out .turner her over by hand while i waited to get the starter back.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
I look at some of this aftermarket stuff and just shake my head. Sure you get a few extra HP, but at what cost?

·
1,060 Posts
I have never heard of anyone doing this on anything but an aircraft engine (in an airboat).

When an airboat sinks, they run diesel through the case in place of oil, and turn it over to help get the water out. Just an idea.
that makes sense diesel still has enough lubercating quality to allow a motor to turn over (not run) a few times and push out all the water. And at $3 a gallon that beats putting 30-50-100 dollars worth of oil in just to throw it out. but with as picky as our motor is I dont think I would feel right putting diesel in my crank case and turning her over.

you did not mention if water had gotten in there or not was your oil milky when you drained it?

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Trip i drained the water out of the oil before i cranked it over it was not milky at .done drove it on a trip to the coast an back it all right .an i have banks air scoop for sale. that thing cost me a bout 1500 dollars in all750 to get the truck home. an 250 in parts an oil

·
Toyaholic
250 Posts
I have never heard of anyone doing this on anything but an aircraft engine (in an airboat).

When an airboat sinks, they run diesel through the case in place of oil, and turn it over to help get the water out. Just an idea.
That will also douch'e out any sludge built up in motor. That's why LB7's are so clean when injectors fail.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts