The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to change the oil in my '93 turbo idi and when I pulled the plug about a pint of clear water came out. It has been sitting for a few months. Is there a place below the intake, in the valley that water can get into the motor if it drips from the firewall? Possibly a grommet or valley pan? It's the only possible reason for it that I can think of. Thanks in advance.

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for the info. Guess theres no better way to learn than to jump in there and break it down myself.

·
567 Posts
I don't know where it would be coming from. Clean it all off and tuna hose not he hood and see if it's drippin on to the engine. There is a valley pan under the intake that can allow water in but you'd have a oil leak with it runnin if water was getting in.
The turbo models have a grommet at the back center ofthethe valley pan too.

Are you sure it was rain water and not coolant?

·
78 Posts
its most likly thats its coolant. that is very strange to have water in your oil! when you said come out, did it come out first or last. and shoudnt your oil be milky with water in it.

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The truck has been sitting for the past three months( bad batteries). I check my oil level regularly, and before I stopped driving it, the oil has looked normal and still did when removed. That leads me to believe that the motor has never run with the water in it. I put the oil in a few 2 liter bottles and there is about 1 liter of water which is perfectly clear. The water came out first. I have had times when I was looking over my motor and noticed water laying on the valley pan, but it would dry up as the motor ran. Now the pan is dry which is making me wonder if the pan has cracked or rusted through. The motor has 160,000 miles on it. The radiator is full with antifreeze. I also have a small oil leak which comes down by the starter, which isn't the valve cover gasket, but it's not enough to leave oil on the driveway.

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess it would be best to be safe and replace the valley pan. Does the IP have to be removed to do this?

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yesterday we had a full day of rain. I have not filled the motor back up with oil after finding this problem, so yesterday morning I removed the drain plug and nothing came out. I reinstalled the plug. Went out this morning to remove plug and about 2tablespoons of water came out. So I guess a new valley pan is in order. I do see water dripping on the motor from the cowl on the drivers side by wiper motor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts