The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is a Fan clutch nut wrench necessary? On my truck i could pull the stator back by loosing the 4 bolts and then have plenty of room for a regular wrench. Beer to the first poster with the info needed.. :D Thanks.

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
Are you reffering to removing the fan from the water pump? If so then no you don't need a special wrench, just a large adjustable wrench.

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the one. thanks. i know on some vehicles its very very tight in there. :five. will be doing a pump tomorrow night. :thumbsup

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
I actually removed my water pump, fan and shroud all as one and then pulled the fan. Putting in I just used a Ford wrench and was very easy to get to.

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually removed my water pump, fan and shroud all as one and then pulled the fan. Putting in I just used a Ford wrench and was very easy to get to.
how did you hold the pump from turning off the truck. also whats this you used a ford wrench, do i or dont i need one :haha :wedgie

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
I used a strap wrench to hold the pulley on the water pump. You could also use the serpentine belt as a strap wrench if you don't have one.

A Ford wrench is an adjustable wrench that the jaws are on the side. It looks like a F and the bottom jaw moves up and down. They are great for tight areas because they are short and have a large jaw opening. I Have also heard them called monkey wrench.

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ah yes, i have a hold ford wrench, i thought you were refuering to a Specal tool. Thanks again. Enjoy the useless beer :haha

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
Thanks, useless beer is being enjoyed!!!!! Now time for a real one.

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a adjustable wrench didn't even some close to fitting in there :haha

we just rented the wrenches. it was a 48MM for the fan nut. then we used the 54mm to go over the pulley bolts. it fit perfect. that held the pulley from turning when trying to loosen the fan nut. :five Could not have gone any smoother.

This was on a 95 if it makes a difference between years.

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
I have never worked on a 95. Mine is an 02 so I guess there is a difference in room between the two. Glad to hear you got it.

·
102 Posts
I used a strap wrench to hold the pulley on the water pump. You could also use the serpentine belt as a strap wrench if you don't have one.

A Ford wrench is an adjustable wrench that the jaws are on the side. It looks like a F and the bottom jaw moves up and down. They are great for tight areas because they are short and have a large jaw opening. I Have also heard them called monkey wrench.
LOL Yes, sort of a monkey wrench. They have no serrated teeth like a pipe wrench does & are thin. The original Ford wrenches are from either the model T, model A era or both. Better tighter design than the adjustable crescent style made today. Possibly options later??? Probably a standard insisted on by Henry for the model T design.

Until we had The Tools, we used a ratcheting tie down to hold the pulley & a thinner adjustable wrench known as a boat wrench.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts