The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the ole' water pump starting pumping coolant OUT of the engine instead of in it today! :damnit
I was really impressed with the ease of replacement! Only took about 45 minutes, the worst part was prying the pulley of the old pump. The shaft was pretty loose!
Anyway, just thought I would share my day. All told, I still love this motor!!!!

Jason

·
3,754 Posts
glad to hear it went failry well

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
only $72.00 from the local INTL dealer. I have a real good relationship with them. I get the cheapest fleet price!!

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
I've found IH parts to be super cheap. Except one time they killed me for an exhaust pipe support.

·
Registered
6 Posts
you said the shaft was loose. did you check to see if housing was worn? because if it is it will not cool as good. it will let pert of the coolant bypass the pump.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmmm. No I did not. Didn't even think about that. So far it has been running the same temps.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
If the impeller wore into the rear gear case enough to "catch a finger nail" on, then the rear case needs to be replaced because the pump will cavitate. That's the official word.

If you have a lower HP model (180-210 say), and a GOOD cooling system, then you will most likely be ok. But, excessive cavitation of the pump can rapidly deteriorate the impeller and gear case, so beware it may be a short-term thing if you opt not to do a full repair.

The good part is that the newer pumps are re-designed to avoid this problem, and if you had a newer pump in there, you are ok.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts