The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Smokin
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some directions on how to replace the water pump on a 01 7.3. I am going to try to do it to day.

·
0 Posts
I don't have my instructions in front me me now...but when I did mine it was a PITA. Hardest part was getting the main pump nut off. Broke two strap wrenches getting the mutha off. Ended up using a chain style strap wrench...griping the outer edge of the pulley, and beating on the handle with a 5 lb sledge to break it loose.

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
I replaced one on my old '95 and it was a breeze. Maybe the two are different but I doubt it. I made a fan wrench out of some strap iron. Just make sure you work the bolts with ease and not break any off. And make sure you draw a diagram to make sure you put them back where they came from....:Thumbup: Takin all the crap out of the way to do it is more a pain than anything IMO.

·
4,024 Posts
I did mine on a stand in the shop at BTS. Nothing to it :Thumbup:

I believe it is a PITA in the truck!!

·
89 Posts
4cstr said:
I don't have my instructions in front me me now...but when I did mine it was a PITA. Hardest part was getting the main pump nut off. Broke two strap wrenches getting the mutha off. Ended up using a chain style strap wrench...griping the outer edge of the pulley, and beating on the handle with a 5 lb sledge to break it loose.
I got the Fan Wrench from Autozone - $16 IRRC. Once I had that the change was easy.

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
I 2nd the use of the AutoZone / Advance Auto Parts tool rental.:Thumbup:

I didn't have the time to do mine, so I took it to a local shop. Once they shot me the estimate, I passed out and told them to just tow it back to my house and I'll get to it when I can.

Granted mine is a '97 7.3L, but once I got to it, it took me about 2.5 hours. I replaced the water pump, thermostat, upper and lower rad hoses, heater hoses, read cap, and installed the coolant with the additive. And I think I had about $375 tied up in all of that. (But my estimate 'started' out to be around $800!!)

But back to your issue, with those clutch fan wrenches, the job is very doable!!

Good Luck!!:Thumbup:

·
Smokin
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that I messed up. I put the gasket for the thermostat on top of it when it was supposed to go under it. Do you think that it would hurt anything to run it like this for a few days till I get time again?

·
Registered
274 Posts
The rubber gasket should go on top to seal the themostat housing to the water pump body. It would have leaked if you did it wrong.

·
Smokin
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just wanted to tell everyone thanks for the advice. The truck is back on the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts