The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother has an Expedition which is rated to tow 10K. I find that hard to believe but that's what he told me. Apparently it has air bags.

He's going to begin building his house and he wants to get a dump trailer. This is it:
http://www.rpmtt.com/html/rpm0213.html

The specific trailer (7' X 14') he's looking at is rated to carry a 12,000 lb load.

He has no interest in buying a truck. Is it possible to install a good weight distribution hitch in order to make this a safer rig? From what I understand, the trailer has a boxed frame.

·
4,827 Posts
I'd suggest adding another transmission cooler in there as well.

·
1,836 Posts
Well, it does not HAVE to be filled :)

The thing about getting towed with 17k behind the car may cause unkind things to happen with the warranty.

Add the tires, check the manufactures sticker on the car ( 8800 is normal for 8 bolts with a full float rear ) and get a real weight on the trailer. That gives you a few real data points for deciding on.

Trailers over 10k can lead to a CDL - after a fine. Check the local law. Building a house might make him a contractor.

That said I pulled a 16x6 dump trailer for most of a year with a 99 Dodge, new driver made 5 weeks on the same route, 3 weeks on the rebuilt trans (auto) and less than a week on the second rebuild. Then the boss gave him a 94 Chev gas.

Trailer Life magazine publishes a listing of the avail tow ratings or look at the same power train in a pickup, most are 1/2 ton rated.

keydl

·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone wanna' take a stab at what might be the typical tongue weight for this kind of trailer, loaded?

·
1,836 Posts
Depends on how it is loaded - 10% is most quoted.

Four hundred is not real heavy empty and with 10k in the box 1000 # is the normal scale for the stuff I pulled. Shift the center of the load 5 in and change the hitch about 100#.

Gross Combined Vehical Weight is the magic number and the empty trailer is close to 1/2 of the remainder after the cars weight is subtracted.

Worst case - car weights 5k - trailer weights 4k leaves 1k for cargo.

Equlizer hitch is not an option, it would be required , brakes required all wheels, cop unfriendly - CDL required and the vehical may be impounded.

Drop the GVW on the trailer under 10k, most of the problems go away.

Same trailer different lable.

keydl

·
Inline Junky!
1,705 Posts
My brother has an Expedition which is rated to tow 10K. I find that hard to believe but that's what he told me. Apparently it has air bags.

He's going to begin building his house and he wants to get a dump trailer. This is it:
http://www.rpmtt.com/html/rpm0213.html

The specific trailer (7' X 14') he's looking at is rated to carry a 12,000 lb load.

He has no interest in buying a truck. Is it possible to install a good weight distribution hitch in order to make this a safer rig? From what I understand, the trailer has a boxed frame.
To answer your question, Yes it is very possible and very easy! I would get a PRO series made by reese! It is a very good buy for the money and about as universal as they come. The kit included everything you need except a ball! For your set up your gonna want a 1000# bar set up! The number 1000 comes from the tongue weight plus added weight to the rear of the tow vehical ie- Tools! Hope that helps!

·
3,533 Posts
I have a 14 x 6 1/2 PJ goose neck dump trailer and I would not want to use a bumper pull, before you buy it you want to take it for a drive and try, backing it up and parking it in an exact location. I have a 3500 crew cab long box and it is hard enough to park.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
I have a 14 x 6 1/2 PJ goose neck dump trailer and I would not want to use a bumper pull, before you buy it you want to take it for a drive and try, backing it up and parking it in an exact location. I have a 3500 crew cab long box and it is hard enough to park.
The guy has no choice. He has an Expedition.

I have no choice, either. I have a utility body truck and a dumptruck. Both have to use a bumper pul.

·
1,836 Posts
If you go with the Reese get the cams - much better anti-sway.

I used Reese with the cams to pull a 24 ft enclosed race trailer with a 1/2 ton Ford van. I pulled it with a friends ton truck without the cams and pulled the 3 3500# axles on Monday to put 2 6000# under it so that it would follow without the cams.

With the friction anti sways if you get bent it wants to stay in the turn mode - NOT what I want in snow, rain or ice.

keydl

Reactions: Duke
1 - 9 of 9 Posts