The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck started sounding funny last week, it sounds like I have valve clatter when I am accelerating. It sounds like my dad's POS cars he had when I was little. I haven't noticed any change in the way the BEAST runs though. I know this is not much information but maybe someone can help.

How would I know if I have injector problems?

·
1,077 Posts
Do have the injector recall? What job # is your truck? Is the stuck stock? DPF on, DPF off? More info...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that the truck was built 04/07. I have had some injectors changed, probably a year ago (don't know about the recall). The truck is Spartanized (running the 275).

I noticed that if I monitor the EGR Pct on my das daq while it is idling it sometimes reads that it is at 25-35%. I thought the 275 closed the egr valve?

·
1,077 Posts
Its shut off electronically but it can still cycle. Are you sure what your hearing is not just the injectors?? What version of the 275 is in your truck? Why the injector swap?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brought it to the dealer this morning and they went for a ride, he said it sounded like nothing he had heard before. They changed the injectors because of the recall apparently, I found that out this morning.

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
When did you get the 275. release date will determin the version #

·
Registered
168 Posts
You havent been 'foot' tuning it over 4k have you? If so you can rest assured you've bent some pushrods.

These trucks should be hard limited to 3400rpm... all dyno charts show them falling off hard after 3300rpm on the HP curve, and after 2600 on the torque curve.

·
1,077 Posts
Hmmmmmm...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think that I have ran it that hard. I do open her up ever once and awhile but have never noticed the rpm's going that high. If it were bent rods wouldn't it make the noise all the time not just when accelerating, after you get to speed it doesn't make the noise. And the guy at ford was in the hood while I reved the engine and we couldn't make it do it while it was in park.:fan:bang

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everything seems to be running as normal (I did notice today that the smoke from the exhaust is not as black as it was it is more of a grey). The noise seems to be getting worse and it is coming from the back drivers side of the motor.

I changed my oil and filters today. Everything looks good there, sending a sample to Blackstone again. hey that reminds me when I sent a sample 6000 miles ago they said that my oil had a lot of metals in it like I was still in break in, I have 60K on it. I guess time will tell and something will probably come flying out of this damn thing....:fan

·
Ultra Member
652 Posts
My smoke has been more grey lately as well, but I'm seeming to have some weird shifting, not the clatter like you mentioned.

·
234 Posts
When i got my Blackstone report my metals were also high, especially iron. Maybe it is just the nature of these engines??

·
cool as december
1,032 Posts
you can get high iron from the turbo's... could be because the tuning...

·
Gettin By
73 Posts
I have also noticed this noise, I had the Ford mechanic take it for a test drive and he said there was three other trucks that have the same noise all with diffrent mileage on them. There is a TSB out right now and the remarks from Ford are tight bearing clearence NORMAL, also stated the reason why it is noticable is due to how quiet the motor is compaired to the 7.3 & 6.0 that also have the same carecteristics. He advised me to change the oil and only fill with 14 qts. of Rotella, it still makes the sound only under acelleration. Truck has only 6200 mi.

·
169 Posts
The smoke norm only gose to grey when 1 turbo is going are done are 2 when the head is cracked - Hope that's wrong check your oils are ya losing coolent.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You havent been 'foot' tuning it over 4k have you? If so you can rest assured you've bent some pushrods.

These trucks should be hard limited to 3400rpm... all dyno charts show them falling off hard after 3300rpm on the HP curve, and after 2600 on the torque curve.
I ran it like I stole it after lunch and the highest it got was 3000/3250 rpm. So I am pretty sure i never went to 4k.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts