The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am contimplating purchasing one of these models. Does anyone run them or know anything of them.

http://www.westernplows.com/tornado.asp

There is no gasoline engine like on most spreaders. There is dual electric motors. I know my snowplow is electric over hydraulic and I would not be using then simultaneously (sp), but would that be too much drain on the electrical system?
I guess I could always build a bracket underneath the truck to hold an additional battery, if necessary, correct? Possibly even an upgraded alternator if necessary??

Thanks for your thoughts,
DD

·
1,836 Posts
The equvilant gas is 10.5 and 11 HP at apx 740 W per HP. The stock alt on my Dodge is 120 A at 12 V = 1440 W

Changing to a KW alt at 200 A is about $140 for the alt new at KW and the mount & pulley. That is about 2400 W aginst apx 8000 W for the gas.

Without spec on electrical needs it looks like 2 200 A alts to run full time as a WAG or 15 min out of an hour with the stock with 15-20 min in 2 batteries.

Call and ask - the gas engines are probably twice the HP needed.

keydl

·
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should of mentioned that I am installing this spreader on my Ford. I do not have the specs on that system. I have a thread in that forum but no one is talking to me:madpoke
Thanks for the input.
I am slightly ignorant when it comes to electrical systems
What I gather is that the gasoline engines are overpowered; more than likely for longevity purposes.?
Thanks again,
Any more input is appreciated!
DD

·
gone fishin!
2,833 Posts
i know of one of thoes same exact units running on a 78 c20 with a 100 amp alternator, works great, and thats with one battery, thoes motors dont draw that much power at all.

·
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
gone fishin!
2,833 Posts
your gona have some fun this year......... i wish it would snow in florida:(

·
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
initial installed pics....more to come!

Here are some initial pics we took to fabricate something I will discuss at a later date.
It was raining again so no interior or part pics yet.
I am beginning to love this unit more and more every day!
Thanks for looking,
DD

·
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
test

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts