The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we could save a lot of time if we had a before you post your question sticky.
with instructions like .
if posting engine questions include Engine manufacturer , model, serial number AR number (Cat) Cpl number (cummins) what ever you need for Detroit.
Trans . look at the tag post what the tag tells you
Truck vins don't do much unless you have access to dealer data base.
Truck model not just manufacturer and year.
When asking give some information as to what you are trying to accomplish , not "what is a good gear ratio?"
we spend a lot of time trying to extract this info from some posters.
Sis needs Engine serial & Ar for unit specific information.

Reactions: LOG HAULER

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
I think we could save a lot of time if we had a before you post your question sticky.
with instructions like .
if posting engine questions include Engine manufacturer , model, serial number AR number (Cat) Cpl number (cummins) what ever you need for Detroit.
Trans . look at the tag post what the tag tells you
Truck vins don't do much unless you have access to dealer data base.
Truck model not just manufacturer and year.
When asking give some information as to what you are trying to accomplish , not "what is a good gear ratio?"
we spend a lot of time trying to extract this info from some posters.
Sis needs Engine serial & Ar for unit specific information.
I think that's a great idea!! Something like the other boards have for "First Time Posters" or whatever. It would make things quicker and easier to respond to for sure!! :rock

·
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You get the info together you would like, and I'll sticky it for you!

prt
Great , I will reword what I think is important and maybe we can wait a day or too for other members to add what the think should be included with questions so that it can short and reasonably concise :tada

·
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Before you post questions on this board please read this

To save time and make for better more complete answers please include details about what you are trying to find out and what your goals are.
when looking for Cat info please state engine model , serial number and arrangement number, we are not being snoopy,we need that to look up specs
Cummins we need model and CPL
Detroit model and ????
approximate year would help too.
For Gear train questions we need trans or axle make and models
If you have questions about gearing please include application ie heavy haul, offroad,longhaul etc as well as engine trans and tire size.
For chassis electrical truck make, model and year

·
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To save time and make for better more complete answers please include details about what you are trying to find out and what your goals are.
when looking for Cat info please state engine model , serial number and arrangement number, we are not being snoopy,we need that to look up specs
Cummins we need model and CPL
Detroit model and ????
For chassis electrical truck make model and year
If any of you guys can think of anything else to add to the above please post it like what other info do we need for detroit (Apparently I don't work on many Detroits any more)

·
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before you post questions on this board please read this

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cummins we need serial number, model number and CPL
Detroit model number from valve cover and serial number
If you have questions about gearing please include application ie heavy haul, offroad,longhaul etc as well as engine trans and tire size.
For chassis electrical truck make, model and year and the problem you are trying to fix

·
1,271 Posts
You get the info together you would like, and I'll sticky it for you!

prt
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For chassis electrical truck make, model and year and the problem you are trying to fix

:thumbsup :happymugs

·
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

If there isn't anything else we need to add ,I will pm Plainredtruck a little later and ask him to sticky that post

·
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think we might want to add a link to the hd mods section too.

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts

To save time and make for better more complete answers, please include details about what you are trying to find out and what your goals are.

To save time and make for more complete answers please include details about what you are trying do and what your goals are.

When looking for Cat info please state year, engine model, serial number and (possibly) arrangement number, we are not being snoopy, we need that to look up specs.

For Cummins we need year, (possible) serial number, model number and CPL.

For Detroit we need year, engine type, model number from valve cover and serial number.

For Gear Train questions we need trans or axle make and models, capacity and year. Truck model helps also. If you have questions about gearing please include application; i.e. heavy haul, off-road, long-haul etc. as well as engine, trans and tire size.

For chassis electrical include truck make, model and year, and the problem you are trying to fix.

Thank you for helping us help you ;)

Hows that? :tada Look it over and have a mod copy and paste either one to a "stand-alone" sticky and/ or link ;)

·
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will pm a mod in the morning :guitar

·
320 Posts
If I may suggest anything as a "reader" or "student" here... I would try encourage every new member seeking advice to provide at least mileage, truck age and application. It may not be important when solving problem, but many discussions are being researched years later and the more info was included, the better. It also helps prevent problems when you know issues on similar equipment.

Or, maybe we all should include more info under profile :sofa:

·
4,090 Posts
Edit thru Word Processor :thumbsup ;)

To save time and make for more complete answers please include details about what you are trying do and what your goals are.

When looking for Cat info please state year, engine model, serial number and (possibly) arrangement number, we are not being snoopy, we need that to look up specs.

For Detroit we need year, engine type, model number from valve cover and serial number.

For Gear Train questions we need trans or axle make and models, capacity and year. Truck model helps also. If you have questions about gearing please include application; i.e. heavy haul, off-road, long-haul etc. as well as engine, trans and tire size.

For chassis electrical include truck make, model and year, and the problem you are trying to fix.

Hows that? :tada Look it over and have a mod copy and paste either one to a "stand-alone" sticky and/ or link ;)
If this is what you want, this is what you'll get.

Just have the OP or ynot post here again and give it the OK.

And please provide a link to the forum(s) you want it.

prt

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
To save time and make for more complete answers please include details about truck model and year, approximate mileage, truck use, what you are trying do and what your goals are.

·
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If this is what you want, this is what you'll get.

Just have the OP or ynot post here again and give it the OK.

And please provide a link to the forum(s) you want it.

prt
I think it is ready. if you could put it at the top of the HD forum that would be great. and if you could add this

For MD and HD engine modifications check out this link to see if your question has already been answered
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=177

Thanks for your help!!!:guitar

1 - 20 of 26 Posts