The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be starting a project truck. It's a Ford F-series (F-800) with a 5.9L and the trans has been removed. It was a stick. If I want to import an Allison into it, what allison would it have been? A MT653? Not sure if that year 5.9 was electronic.

What are my other options with other Allisons? Truck will be used for grunt farm work & snowplowing, nothing over 55 MPH. Sorry don't have rear gearing (yet).

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
First likelihood is an AT545, second place would be the MT643. The electronic version (ISB) started in 97-98-ish.

·
183 Posts
Duke ----What has the truck done in its previous life ? Is there any indication if it had a reducing ring from flywheel housing to transmission,say a SAE 2 to SAE 3 would indicate it was an AT 545/542 ,[not good for dump truck application].MT 643/653 is the minimum you should consider with lockup converter .Is the flexplate still on the engine ? What is the bolt circle to fasten the flexplate to the converter ? What pattern does the shift quadrent show ? Electronic controlled transmissions were out by the mid '90s ,so that doubles the possibilities . If you'd care to,call 330-467-9357 .
Mechanical governed engines used a TPS [throttle position]sensor with electronic engines . Also,an F800 GVW is higher than you'd normally see a AT 545 in . Just reread your post and noticed it was a manual trans originally ,so disregard much of my banter .

·
3,533 Posts
You need to know what the engine CPL is and then I would call Detroit, Alison and ask them. Lots of trucks ran the 545, the 653 is a better choice, The 654 has a bit to much Torque to get any RPM out of a 5.9. That is the worst thing about a 5.9 of lower torque settings they end up with to low a stall speed.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Despite my disliking, I could turn up the 5.9L a bit if it's a 190 or 210 and keep a pyro gauge right on the dash in front of me. I think if I can get it up to 250HP, it would live a long life and be froggy enough for a MT allison. Should have a P-pump and be easy with a 4" exhaust

Truck will have aluminum dumping flatbed and gooseneck hitch to pull my 7040 and attachments around. I really wanted a '06+ GM 3500HD 4WD, but just can't swing it $$ right now.

I'm gettin way ahead of myself, more thinking out loud. I have to get a shipping quote and do a budget to see if I can even do this. I might end up doing a 5 speed 2 speed rear with 4WD lockout if the Ally becomes too spendy and just keep trying to get an Ally in my 4800.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
The AT545 would be the least costly and most common trans behind that engine, the MT643 would likely have been an option.

The MT643 is only a "better" choice if you have easy access to one at a modest cost.

In either event, there are many parts to be sourced for a conversion, I've done this three times but only with access to parts books or doner units.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts