The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
A Slave To The Trade
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey cummins lovers i just got out of the ford business and purchased a 2001 3500 with 54000mi. on the odometer. since im a power hound some of yall throw some tips my way to make power. it already has a 4" exhaust kit from the turbo down to the 6" tip with a magnaflow (i plan to totally straight pipe it later) and a air intake system. other than that its totally stock. no chip or anyting. so stuff like what programmer to buy injectors and other sperformance products. thanx yall

:bow: CUMMINS

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Welcome to the site! :Thumbup:

There is a lot of thing you can do to improve you performance of your truck. But I will warn you right now... Keep a close eye on your wallet these guys here can spend you money quick!

But I would suggest you fix the problemed things first before you start pouring power into it.

* Upgraded fuel system (Fuel lines and Pump)
* Gauges (Fuel pressure, Pyro, and Boost)
* Upgrade Trans (Auto - Valve Body and TQ converter, Manu - Clutch)

Then add you performance mods and bombs...:Thumbup:

·
A Slave To The Trade
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok pretty basic stuff. thats what i did with my 01 powerstroke. now i had a dp tuner in my ford. their like top shelf programmers and the ford diesel communitty swears by them. whats available for my truck that is of the same caliber and performance potential?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mopar1973Man said:
Welcome to the site! :Thumbup:

There is a lot of thing you can do to improve you performance of your truck. But I will warn you right now... Keep a close eye on your wallet these guys here can spend you money quick!

But I would suggest you fix the problemed things first before you start pouring power into it.

* Upgraded fuel system (Fuel lines and Pump)
* Gauges (Fuel pressure, Pyro, and Boost)
* Upgrade Trans (Auto - Valve Body and TQ converter, Manu - Clutch)

Then add you performance mods and bombs...:Thumbup:

yep, get the fuel pressure guage 1st, if the pressure drops too low the injection pump goes, to keep the fuel pressure up get a air dog fuel pump with filter water separator and larger lines., Pyro guage, Trans is then the weak link see above as minimum necessary improvement. then power, that is the need order of growth. Ed

·
Singles Club #2
496 Posts
bull hauler30 said:
ok pretty basic stuff. thats what i did with my 01 powerstroke. now i had a dp tuner in my ford. their like top shelf programmers and the ford diesel communitty swears by them. whats available for my truck that is of the same caliber and performance potential?
My bud has a Smarty in his..not sure of HP gain with it..but it was much better than stock..He is now getting the new Quadzilla Adrenaline (180hp..420 ft-lbs) and stacking it with the smarty..he also has 200 hp injectors which woke it up nicely too :Thumbup:

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
2nd Gen Mods

Start with guages, and include fuel pressure. After guages you will then know you fuel pressures. I recommend just getting the pump FASS or Raptor, because the stock campaign pump is going to fail, I guarantee it. At that point you can decide wich route to go. If you skip the trans and just go for the power, just know that it's gonna eventually going to become an issue. The Edge Juice attitude is great on these trucks, and it also comes with fuel pressure. Programmer wise the Smarty is always good. If you start diving into injectors you also open up the fact that the turbo probably isn't going to support the airflow required to keep the engine cool, but it all depends on how much injector. Address the weak links first and then have fun. Great truck to play with.

·
A Slave To The Trade
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the advice guys. this truck is so cherry i wouldnt want to blow it up before i get to really enjoy it. i knew to get a fass first. i had one on my powerstroke and liked it so ill go with one for my cummins. so im pretty sure ill go with a smarty programmer. these have custom files right? excuse the ignorance here but im new to the dodge world

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
They Smarty doesn't have custom tuning. They are always revamping there tuning so it's a matter of checking out their site periodically and checking for updates or changes in programming. Hope this helps but the Smarty is awesome.

·
A Slave To The Trade
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok somehow i had a hunch smarty already had pre-programmed files on them. whats a programmer with custom files then? im looking for one because i can cater my programmer to the mods im going to make to my truck like injectors turbo upgrades etc.. and get exactly what i want weather it be power or with bigger injectors turn down the fuel to get increased mpgs and not just have a programmer that covers everything in a general sense and not be programmed specifically for the mods on my truck

·
113 Posts
smarty is a good programmer but if stack with a drag comp it can take power away. on my truck it did. driving down the road didnt feel like it but on the dyno the smarty robbed 70hp from my truck. many of the guys around here sold theres for that reason. the smarty is only about a 65hp programmer.

if you want 500hp then you need quadzilla adreinaline or hot juice/drag comp, fass or air dog, injectors 150hp+, 64mm or 66mm turbo and some transmissions mods

·
A Slave To The Trade
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so enlighten me here. some people on here say smarty, others say go with the quadzilla. everyone says the smarty is a good programmer just not when you stack it. so throw me some info here so that im not totally in the dark on the diffrence between the two

·
Singles Club #2
496 Posts
bull hauler30 said:
ok so enlighten me here. some people on here say smarty, others say go with the quadzilla. everyone says the smarty is a good programmer just not when you stack it. so throw me some info here so that im not totally in the dark on the diffrence between the two
Others correct me if i am wrong...the smarty does stack good with other boxes..but they should be fueling only boxes (EX: TST) and if the other box does have timing-it should be set on a level for that has fueling only.

My friend that currently has the smarty is going to stack the quadzilla adrenaline with it. I've heard that running the two of them together can put down some good numbers over stock.

Both the smarty and the quadzilla come pre-programmed with tunes. They both are updateable-i know the adrenaline is USB updateable and comes with a 'remote' that has a display that reads out boost, EGT, and a couple other things. The only thing with the display is that you can only look at one readout at a time.

·
232 Posts
my advice go with edge juice w/att comes with gauges and everything you need :p havent tried adren yet

·
Registered
7 Posts
the smarty wrecks shop, i would definately buy one if i had the money, they seem to be the best cummins chip on the market atm, and like said earlier they update it so you cant go wrong. transmissions can get expensive though, that just depends on what you plan to do with it, if money isnt an option, i mean i dont know your financial standings, then ats makes good transmissions, suncoast does as well.

·
A Slave To The Trade
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey moose 04 said something about a Bluechip, never heard of it. anybody know anything about them?

·
90 Posts
Bluechip is the best on the market in my opinion. I personally have never ran one, but I know a few guys with them. If you had the money go for the Redline box, by far the ultimate box for the 24 valve.

·
Registered
86 Posts
bosch 200hp injectors, edge comp chip, smarty programmer, straight pipe it to get more flow, and a wastegate..your set

your looking at approx. $1500

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
I had a buddy who was running the bluechip redline box stacked with a smarty, and he claimed good results. Dont know his exact numbers but he seemed happy with it.

As for the redline box being the best, I have heard that elsewhere. I have also heard that it costs a LOT more than any other box on the market, @ over $1000. Correct me if im wrong overvalvers! LOL :poke: :shrug:

·
113 Posts
smokndiesel7588 said:
Others correct me if i am wrong...the smarty does stack good with other boxes..but they should be fueling only boxes (EX: TST) and if the other box does have timing-it should be set on a level for that has fueling only.
when i had my smarty stacked with the drag comp. the smarty was on level 8 and the drag comp on level 5. i only made 439 with 200ddp sticks, htt 64, fass, stock vp, o ringed head with head studs, bigger connectors tubes and dual disc. i took the smarty off and jumped to over 500. the truck felt like it had more balls when the smarty was on there but the dyno does lie.

every truck acts different

1 - 20 of 23 Posts