The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My uncle is interested in getting a new backhoe (Case 580 Super N) and he wants to know what truck could tow it. He'd like to stay with something like a newer Ford F550 or Dodge 5500 Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel with a 5th wheel trailer but if not how much bigger of a truck would he need? The backhoe weighs 19,900lbs and about 7000 for the trailer.

I did find on a Ford spec sheet that a 2011 F550 Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel with a 4.30 axle can tow 25500lbs but is that true?

·
391 Posts
I wouldn't want to pull it with a Class 5 truck. I would say class 7 or bigger.

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats kinda what I'm trying to convince him to go with. Nearly 27,000 lbs is a lot of weight, and I've never really thought a truck thats not more than just a beefed up one ton could pull that much. I figured a single axle dump truck with airbrakes would be the way to go. For that he's considering an International Durastar or Freightliner M2, both would have an automatic. Or even a Chevy/GMC 6500 or bigger if we can find a left over new one.

·
56 Posts
one way to approach this is to look around at what others are
moving similar machines with.most of the time pulling is not
the problem.its when it comes time to stop, you better have
enough brakes and truck. and also how often are you going to be pulling the trailer and machine.once in a while might be ok with class 5, but day in day out I dont think a super
duty would hold up.

·
645 Posts
I pull 10-12 ton loads of hay with my F350, F550 and GMC topkick 5500 all the time. The topkick is by far the most stable and has the best brakes.

As mention by others, brakes are the biggest issue. If you trailer had electric bakes your going to use a lot of truck brakes and possibly **** yourself if you need to stop fast. All my hay trailers have electric over hydraulic brakes, 2 of the have Kodiak disk brakes. With disk brakes the trailer will stop the whole rig fast with 10 tons of hay on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts