The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Training Wheels King
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don got me going on the tranny again so I'll put it out there. Just looking for opinions.

Long story short my truck has a teeth shattering shift from 2-3 on any tune above the 210. My builder won't warranty the work if I drive it above that because of the shifting.

I ask spartan about the shifting and such and they tell me I need a TCM. I already had a TCM in it and the trans failed after 600 miles.

I know there are 100's of trucks running suncoast parts/trans, TCM's and big tunes. I can't go above the 210.

My builder says there is nothing wrong with the tranny mechanically because it works ok in the 210 tune and that I need custom tunes to control shifting in the high HP. Is that my only option even tho everyone else can run normal tunes?

·
Training Wheels King
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have you changed all the seliniods in the valvebody
a bad seliniod can cause some weird shifting
I beleive they all have been changed... It wouldnt make sense to be that I don't thikn because it's only on High HP tunes.

·
Training Wheels King
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried different tunes? No offense to Spartan obviously, but that would rule out the tuning.
250, 275, 310 all shift like CHIT (only 2-3 shift)... 210 and 150 no problem

·
The DUDE!!
1,806 Posts
250, 275, 310 all shift like CHIT (only 2-3 shift)... 210 and 150 no problem
I think he means other tunes from someone other than Spartan...

just an example, i have tunes from DJ, Matt (gearhead) and Innovative. All run great, but the shifting on the Innovative tune is completely different than the other two. 2-3 and 3-4 are a little rougher for just driving around town. If I get on it, they shift pretty good, but still a little rough. I put either one of the other two on there and it shifts nice and smooth. Different tunes do different things....

·
Training Wheels King
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, not really wanting to boom up another 700+ bucks for another tuner.... The tunes worked great in the white truck, low tunes work pretty good on this truck. Just wanna know why my truck doesn't work like others I guess.

Multiple Spartan people have told me to get/put the TCM in... When we did that at PSM they REALLY didn't like the shifting and told me to take it out and I totally agree, it was rough.

·
The DUDE!!
1,806 Posts
No, not really wanting to boom up another 700+ bucks for another tuner.... The tunes worked great in the white truck, low tunes work pretty good on this truck. Just wanna know why my truck doesn't work like others I guess.

Multiple Spartan people have told me to get/put the TCM in... When we did that at PSM they REALLY didn't like the shifting and told me to take it out and I totally agree, it was rough.
oh, guess the 6.4 tuners are like the 6.0 tuners... oh well.. good luck.

Reactions: bushpilot

·
Training Wheels King
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh, guess the 6.4 tuners are like the 6.0 tuners... oh well.. good luck.

Thanks man, It just doesn't make any sense is all....:confused:

·
1,415 Posts
didn't they say to only run the tcm if you ran stock shift siliodes? if you use upgrade once dont use the tcm.

·
Registered
339 Posts

To help you resolve your problem, I would have no problem selling you an SCT or SCT with Eric's tunes. If that does not fix the problem, return it. Atleast that way you will know if it is the tuning or the trans. I am more than happy to help in any way I can..

·
Training Wheels King
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
didn't they say to only run the tcm if you ran stock shift siliodes? if you use upgrade once dont use the tcm.
Got stock solenoids now....

Originally I had upgraded and it was real bad/pump went out at 650 miles. At the same time Sean, AKA Powerstroker67 runs the 310, TCM and Upgraded solenoids in a truck over 10K lbs, and has so for over 20K miles....

·
Training Wheels King
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To help you resolve your problem, I would have no problem selling you an SCT or SCT with Eric's tunes. If that does not fix the problem, return it. Atleast that way you will know if it is the tuning or the trans. I am more than happy to help in any way I can..
Thanks Rudy...I'm going over seas again for about 6 weeks leavin on friday so maybe I'll be in touch when I get back.

I'm wondering if it is tuning because the 210 and belows work. Mick told me 210 and belows are stock shifting pretty much and my builder seems to think that if it was something mechanical or something wrong with the build then it would do it all the time...

On the other side of the fence, Mick and I completely wiped my computer clean, reloaded a stock tune, then reloaded my performance tunes. :popcorn

·
Auto's are for pansies
2,117 Posts
That's what I call customer service. :thumbsup

As for this topic, :bdh

·
Training Wheels King
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As for this topic, :bdh
I agree Will, but everyone says I'm a ******* becuse my tranny broke but no one has a solution without me spending way more money for something that should work when I paid for it the first AND second time.

Bottom line I have 2 trans that haven't work with all the parts that EVER SINGLE OTHER PERSON that has a suncoast can run... Why?

·
Training Wheels King
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
179 Posts
Trust me I would love to but, what about the 6-7K I have in it now? Just a lost cause?
If it was tuning issue or a hardware issue they could write custom tunes for you by having it in hand to test. Assuming the harware issue is not detrimental. If they find it was build error then you can try to get a refund from the 1st shop. I feel for you on having invested 7k already but your tranny dosen't work right and that sucks. But it looks like you need a fresh set of eyes to work on yor truck in order to get it to work right which will cost you more $ unfortunately. Just my .02 cents

·
Training Wheels King
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I think the only option is either try new tuning or open it up. Rudy, I'll be hittin you up when I get back from Scottland I think. If it still shifts bad with other tuning then I can have someone open it up and confirm that something wasn't built right.

$$$$$$$$$ damnit

1 - 20 of 22 Posts