The Diesel Garage banner

What duramax engine should i get

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as some know i am trying to scrape enough money together to get a gmc sierra with the dmax. i am just wondering if anyone has a little pro's and con's on the lly, lmm, and the lbz. i know the lbz is the best but lets just pretend we dont know that.... i am just trying to research a lot before i go and dump a bunch of money on one.
i am basically just asking if there are any common problems or good things about each motor and which one is the best.
thanks
erik

P.S. sorry about that dumb thread before this. i dont know what happened but it didint post my poll. anyhow, here it is. pleassseee help

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
the LBZ will give you the least problems stock

you know where my vote goes :thumbsup

Reactions: ehopp88ss

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
LBZ..love mine...even stock

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
:toytruck What? :thumbdown No LB7 love? :gaah

Not that i'm biased or anything.... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I would suggest buying the newest possible truck with the lowest mileage. So LBZ or LMM would be the way to go. :happymugs

·
I now drive a Duramax...
318 Posts
LBZ, last engine pre-dpf, enough said...

·
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just a quick question?? why should i get a pre DPF? is there anything wrong with a truck with DPF or does it just cost more to take out that dumb stuff?

thanks
erik

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
a dpf truck is harder to modify because the DPF has to come off before you can tune it, and there can be problems arise from the DPF and corresponding equipment, however the duramax is the least problematic dpf equipped truck in stock form, the LBZ is easy to mod and you dont have to worry about the darn dpf

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
The biggest thing against the LMM is its gona cost more to begin with and will cost more to get to the same point as an LBZ stock

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
The biggest thing against the LMM is its gona cost more to begin with and will cost more to get to the same point as an LBZ stock
I have to disagree on the second part. A tuner than can program non-DPF tunes in an LMM costs no more than a tuner for an LBZ. The exhaust and intake will be the same cost on an LMM or an LBZ also.

Yes, initial cost is should be more since it will be a newer truck.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
You cant tune a LMM with the stock exhaust, as where an LBZ can be josh... thats where the cost difference comes in :thumbsup

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
You cant tune a LMM with the stock exhaust, as where an LBZ can be josh... thats where the cost difference comes in :thumbsup
You can, just not worth a crap. I tried it.

Okay, you have me there. But who keeps stock exhaust? :p

You could go full 'neck and gut the DPF. I know people that have done it.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
LOL my exhaust is still 65% stock... minus a cat and muffler.... lol virtually free mod

i just need to suck it up and put a few bucks toward a 4" kit... just too lazy and cheap lol

sorry for the Hijack!!!!

I stand beside the LBZ, for what he is looking for it will be perfect

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
not really.

yes you can. though why keep the dpf? just put an aftermarket exhaust on it, egr blocker plates, and a tuner. mod for mod an LMM is quicker and more powerful. the trans is also slightly stronger stock for stock. theres a guy in our club that ran a 9.00 1/8th. CC LB, lifted on 37s with about 600lbs in the tool box and a female passenger. PPE, exhuast, and intake only. try that with an LBZ and you're gonna limp the trans. oh, that was a semi boosted 4wd launch too.

Garrett

·
Hadley Coal Roller
819 Posts
id go LBZ. theyre great engines. the LLY's are quick. the LB7 is a perfectly good engine too just beware of injectors.

·
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
There were injector issues with a lot of the LBZ motors
no injector issues with the LBZ, if you ment LB7 then yes there were

the LMM and LBZ are equipped with the SAME 6-speed allison, no difference what-so-ever, i dont know why you would think that the LMM would be more powerful, they changed from a 7-hole to a 6-hole injector, added a Throttle body, installed a DPF and changed the body style, the engines are Physically the same, i dont buy it :thumbdown besides your gonna pay more for an LMM, and its not like the OP has the money you do :p

Reactions: Rcannon
1 - 20 of 57 Posts