The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what gives? i cleaned the strainer screen today and changed my fuel filter the other day but i still get excessive whiteish grey smoke if i try to govorn the motor and it's fuel not oil... if i take the motor to 2700 rpms it smokes bad and right at the top of 1-3rd if i wind it out... also when i primed it after i put the strainer back in there was a squeeking noise near the ip or in it... don't remember it last time but definately heard it now... any ideas... the lift pump isn't tickin' at all anymore but was before.... maybe its losin fuel pressure at high rpm's?? thanx for any input.. keith

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
It could be in Lift pump, might just wanna buy one and throw it on there to see if thats the problem. I don't think they are to expensive.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Throw an FP gauge on it and you'll find the problem in about 30sec

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx what if the timing slipped? how would it act?

·
resident mason
343 Posts
Bud it's a lost cause. The engine's spent, doors falling off, springs shot, the truck is done. You should sell it to me for like 150 bucks. Do you take Visa?

·
1,836 Posts
You did find the scribe on the pump flange or put one there yourself, didn't you?

Most of the white smoke at hi ldle have been single injector not poping good, it is firing but not with a correct spray.

Find it with a ray gun or pyrometer check on the exhaust flanges on the head, the cooler one needs service.

keydl

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
^^^ Yeah forgot about that. Used it to daignose a few engines. It'd give you an excuse to get newer/bigger injectors :sly:

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
keydl said:
You did find the scribe on the pump flange or put one there yourself, didn't you?
What? How would that help? The timing is adjusted by rotating the pump gear on the shaft. The pump stays stationary. Did I miss something?

woodchuck, heres the timing TSB/procedure. White smoke and low power are symptoms

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
And another way to help look for a bad injector is to crack the lines one at a time, with the engine idling. If you crack it and the idle drops and gets rough, the injector is working, tighten it up and go to the next

G

·
cajuncummins said:
if the timing's slipped it would just be doggish, no weird smoke or anything like that
That is incorrect, well part of it. It will be doggish, but you will most definitely have some white smoke and probably lots of popping.

I agree with Derek, check the fuel pressure and you will find it is most likely your problem. Could be anything from filter, to lift pump, to overflow valve, to cracked fuel line and sucking air.

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
all right I think that i will start with checking injectors then i think that i am gonna buy a lift pump on ebay for 100 bucks then put that in then check all my lines.... i am almost positive it is lift pump....but it is a little doggish unless i really matt it.... well thanx for the help how hard is the lift pump to replace? i might want someone a little more qualified then me to time it... is there anyone in the northeast near vt ny or mass or nh that can advance the timong for me? well maybe i can do it... thanx for all the input... i hope that i get it soon...

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I'd spend $50 on an FP gauge before you spend $100 for a LP that you don't know is bad. If the LP was bad it should loose power the higher the rpm, or throttle input.

But the LP is relatively simple to change. Its just in an awkward spot.

Timing requires $300 worth of tools, and some experience or lots of luck to set correctly. I'd have a shop do it if you've never done it before.

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the only thing is that after i buy the fp guage and find what I expect (low pressure at high rpms) then what.. still the same options. unless I can pinpoint the problem easier with the pressure guage. I don't know. the wierd thing is is that the lp doesn't tick anymore.. not even a little. it usually ticks if you listen close.... thats why i was thinkin for 100 bux i mite as well replace it and go from there. it does it worse when its cold and to describe it best it pulls low in the rpm's then smokes hard and pops so i shift to 3rd and it pulls till like 23-2300 rpms then falls on it's face and smokes and pops....then i shift to fourth and it doesnt really do it the rest of the ride home. unless i stop at a light or something and it might do it in 2nd. but I should probably buy the pressure guage to have it..thanx

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
The FP gauge can tell you if its the LP, the overflow, filter, a leaky line, air, or if its not even a fuel issue. The overflow and LP have very similar symptoms when they go. I actually suspect your overflow more than your LP.

I'm a firm believer that every 12 valve owner should have an FP gauge at least in there toolbox............

·
1,836 Posts
There is slack in the mounting bolts, most pumps have a little adj in the mounting bolts, it is just a habit I guess to mark them all that have injection lines.
The same as pulling the connectors apart and putting dialectric grease in those that are not full already. Lots of dumb habits.

An electric contact pyrometer to check the exhaust flange temp sorts out whether the problem is one cylinder or all cylinders.

A pressure gage is a good thing to have.

keydl

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok heres the update.. when the truck is idlin' i can hear a little hiss in the ip like somewhere in front of the plate/afc housing... and then under power it smokes and cuts out at like 2000-2200 rpms right when the turbo spools. and when it boosts it bogs down and actually loses rpm's...and smokes like a basstird......so if i get a fp gauge where and how would i go about testing the fuel pressure at different locations? thanks keith

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i guess my next question is how do i fix the problem.... i think that today i want to get my truck back to running 100% so i am gonna start with the overflow valve.... i don't know anything about it and dual k20s says that he expects it to be the root of my problem....so is there any links or "how to" fix this problem..... any help would be greatly appreciated....i am gonna order a lift pump too... i don't think that i will regret replacing the lift pump if they always go at some point anyway...but i want to clear this up so thanks for any input... keth

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dead in the water

well that's it diw!! i left the house and made it like 1000 yards and it wouldnt run anymore at all... then after some serious cranking and a lot of fartin and smoke it started and i limped home...i am ordering a lift pump and fuel pressure gauge today...thanx for the help..it sux that no one around here carries anything...i mean a universal fp gauge and nobody has one...it's lame.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Then my guess is the LP. I don't think the overflow would make the rig stop completely, would it? It would just be really underpowered from not getting the fuel pressure?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts