The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many are using the newer bio-degradeable or enviromental products.

I don't use any yet except a new soy based degreaser and asphalt release agent from ZEP. Works great but a little spendy. No bio-diesel at all. Wondering if anyone is using Bio lube grease, if so how it works?

A lot of the stuff is still too expensive and unproven long term.

·
114 Posts
Cash...and too much of it.

If you find a good asphalt release agent, lemmeno. Seems that crap is getting harder and harder to get out of the trailer...the polymer stuff they use on the interstates anyway. I had to use the torch a couple times last summer. Luckily, most plants I've been to keep a spigot on their diesel tanks so we can refill a 1-2 gallon sprayer if need be.

·
1,271 Posts
Used some green paint awhile back, does that count?
Sorry men, couldnt resist
Truck is still stock, does that count? Mr. Haney may soon be changing that. Have emission testing in friggin taxachusetts, so cant get to carried away..

·
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
378Pete, I have found two things better than diesel, both made by ZEP. The first is called Soy Response. It is expensive to buy (5 gal. pail=$100) but goes a long way because I only use it once or twice a day. It is water soluble so it washes off with high pressure water. The other is called ONE, also from ZEP. The asphalt plant I load out of bought a tote of ONE for their overhead spray bar. Had a reddish color and smelled like hot antifreeze. That stuff was magic. Didn't even leave a black stain on your floor. Only need one dose every 4-5 loads. Didn't dry on your mirrors, wheels, exhaust, etc. I hope they keep providing it. Getting the spray on your truck isn't such a problem for trailers, but for trucks with the box right behind your head, and a little breeze, it is a mess. Both are legal. We are getting more and more heat here for using diesel. The new superpave mixes are a nightmare. I won't haul the F mix they have here for the interstates. I can't haul clean materials afterward until I scrape both boxes for several hours.

Regarding emissions testing, it is only a matter of time here. Hopefully, the age of my truck will grandfather, if not, I don't know what I'll do. I can't even take my truck into Calif., which is just fine with me cuz I don't speak the language.

·
2,555 Posts
Just wondering how many are using the newer bio-degradeable or enviromental products.

I don't use any yet except a new soy based degreaser and asphalt release agent from ZEP. Works great but a little spendy. No bio-diesel at all. Wondering if anyone is using Bio lube grease, if so how it works?

A lot of the stuff is still too expensive and unproven long term.
I run a 23 year old truck , think of all the embodied energy I (and you to have saved) have saved . i have heardthat one volcano put more crap in the air in a week than the whole transport industry does in a year.

:popcorn

·
114 Posts
378Pete, I have found two things better than diesel, both made by ZEP. The first is called Soy Response. It is expensive to buy (5 gal. pail=$100) but goes a long way because I only use it once or twice a day. It is water soluble so it washes off with high pressure water. The other is called ONE, also from ZEP. The asphalt plant I load out of bought a tote of ONE for their overhead spray bar. Had a reddish color and smelled like hot antifreeze. That stuff was magic. Didn't even leave a black stain on your floor. Only need one dose every 4-5 loads. Didn't dry on your mirrors, wheels, exhaust, etc. I hope they keep providing it. Getting the spray on your truck isn't such a problem for trailers, but for trucks with the box right behind your head, and a little breeze, it is a mess. Both are legal. We are getting more and more heat here for using diesel. The new superpave mixes are a nightmare. I won't haul the F mix they have here for the interstates. I can't haul clean materials afterward until I scrape both boxes for several hours.

Regarding emissions testing, it is only a matter of time here. Hopefully, the age of my truck will grandfather, if not, I don't know what I'll do. I can't even take my truck into Calif., which is just fine with me cuz I don't speak the language.
What I've found works the best is if you douche it down with diesel at the end of the day RIGHT after you unload, seems to work well when it's still 300+ degrees...but the diesel 'steam' is awful tho.

·
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most public truck stops in Oregon have 2% Bio-Diesel in all their tanks. I have a tank at home and buy my fuel on the road at a card-lock network so I avoid the Bio all together. A friend of mine got a load of 20% Bio some where and had a nightmare getting his system cleared out afterward. The future is grim for all of us on this Bio stuff. Some of it works good but all of it is expensive. All gas sold in stations here has 10% ethanol which is horrible crap for older cars, boats with aluminum or plastic tanks and gas power tools. It makes less power and is like a magnet for water. I manage to get around that to for my boat and power tools.

·
137 Posts
I run a 23 year old truck , think of all the embodied energy I (and you to have saved) have saved . i have heardthat one volcano put more crap in the air in a week than the whole transport industry does in a year.

:popcorn
Not to mention all the hot air & smoke and mirrors in D.C.!:usflag

1 - 13 of 13 Posts